9mm 135 grain jhp versus 115, 124, and 147 grain jhp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdd

Inactive
how does the 9mm 135 grain jhp (federal personal defense hydra-shok) compare to the 115, 124, and 147 grain jhp? in what order would you rank these 4 (standard pressure loads) for self-defense purposes?

Hello. I don't care for any of Federal's Personal Defense ammunition although my first-hand experience with it is limited to the 165 gr .45acp. It simply did NOT prove as effective as another caliber that's usually thought of as "less powerful." That round was a plus p round however and placement was good....which might have been the difference. In my opinion, the best STANDARD pressure 124 gr load and the best STANDARD pressure 115 gr load are both from Federal. Their 124 gr Nyclad HP and their 115 gr JHP seem to do about the same damage in informal testing on my part and are rated very, very close by Marshall and Sanow if that's important. In my opinion, the 147s are not as good for protection as much of the lighter, faster rounds, but if you prefer that weight, I THINK that CCI's Gold Dots might be a good choice. Anyway, in my opinion, #1. Federal 124 gr Nyclad HP, #2. Federal 115 gr JHP, #3. Federal PD 135 gr HydraShok, and #4. CCI/Speer 147 gr GDHP. Best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back