9mm 124 gr. ammo (standard pressure non +P)

shamster

How do the 124 gr. Gold Dots, Hydra Shoks, and Golden Sabers perform in actual shootings? Was wondering if a non +P round in this bullet weight would still have adequate performance. Thanks!

Well, according to friend who is a weapons instructor of the Texas DPS, he recommends the 124 grain bullet weight.

He likes the Speer Gold Dot and the Federal as a matter of fact.

The test results his department ran on the various bullet weights led them to conclude that the 124 grain was necessary to get in to the "magical" 1.5-2" penetration zone. The 115 grain apparently did not have as much penetratin even with the higher velocity.

Be safe.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

Modern expanding bullets perform well in ALL brands. It is hard to find a bad one. All of this thanks to modern skills using computers to predict performance, but that performance is ONLY based on IDEAL conditions which seldom are in place. We always come back to YOUR placement of the bullet rather than the design. It is hard to make a bad choice.

I have found that the Speer Gold Dot (standard pressure) work perfectly in my Browning HP and are very accurate. It is my choice for a defense round. The Speer Lawman 115TMJ is my choice as a target load. Its super clean and accurate. Thumbs up for the 124gr!! :)

Hello, sir. Most of the standard pressure 9mm rounds in that bullet weight run in the low to mid-80 percentile OSS according to Marshall and Sanow if that's of import to you. I like this weight bullet in the nine and would add that the Federal Nyclad 124 gr HP is probably a good performer in this bullet weight as it's pure lead covered with a nylon jacket. It groups well from several nines I own. The 124 gr bullets offer kind of a compromise between the velocity of the 115s and the mass of the 147s. Best.

Do the Nyclads lead the barrel up at all? Does the nylon coating cause any particular problem?

------------------
Something from our wine list?!!
Ford Fairlane

Hello. The Nyclad has caused me no problems whatsover in the following: Browning HPs with standard and BarSto bbls, CZ75s, HK P7,
Star Model B, SIG P210, SIG-Sauer P225, Star Model 28s or Taurus PT92. It is quite accurate in all of these, but is not the "tackdriver" some factory loads and handloads are. On average, I can get 3" or less with it at 25 yards from any of these pistols from a rest. I've taken only a couple of critters with it, but it did "stop" and did expand judging from exit wounds. Best.

Back