.99cent stuck bullet puller

scrat

I was talking to a guy at work today about shooting. Said he used to shoot black powder a lot years ago. we were talking for a while then he said "so do you carry a can of hair spray with you." i said WHAT. he said Hair spray.

Buy a can of cheap hair spray. Aquanet get a WD40 nozzle change the Aquanet. Then tape the straw on the side. Put it in your bag your going to need it. I looked a little puzzled. HE said. Everyone screws up once in a while. so you have a stuck bullet. Take out your can of aquanet. Spray some in the nipple. Cap it quick then shoot it. In a rifle it may only move it about a foot on the first blast. So wait a minute to air it out. Then spray it again, this time you will get more volume. Then cap it and shoot.

No more stuck bullet. He then said i thought everyone knew about that all the guys used to have it. some would spray paint the cans so people wouldnt ask them questions on why they had hair spray at the shooting range.

So im asking has anyone ever heard of this. Sounds pretty good if you ask me. I know a lot of guys use hair spray to make up those big pvc potato cannons.

When I used to be in NSSA a few of us would have a CO2 rig "that is now been manufactured for this" that did the trick on stuck bullets.

A bullet puller and a good rod works well too. I have a brass ram rod that has a triangle shaped handle that I use on the range. Works real well!

I have not heard of this before and will run it past my Buckskinner buddies although those guys are not into hair spray.
There are many ways of addressing a "MissFires" and this is a new one to me.
I have pulled round ball, Sabots and twice had to remove stuck ramrods.
Had to blow one out with the CO2 rig and the other by soaking and pulling.
Most patched round balls are easy to pull and purposely do so for training new instructors. I do not teach this to regular students and refer them to their instruction manual. I'm going to have to think about this one as it might be a good option. Have never had a HangFire or MissFire with an in-line, on a primer that has ignited. Side Cockers are a different story but usually you will start getting HangFires before you get a MissFire. I listen to what the gun is telling me!!! Thank you for your post !!!

Be Safe

I just had an idea (so it might be stupid, you tell me.) How about getting a zerk fitting threaded so it will screw in in place of the nipple. Then press the stuck ball out with a grease gun.

Safe, cheap, but messy. The down side is you need a nipple wrench.

Alimite fitting

the grease fitting and grease gun work but it takes a while longer to pump it full and it makes one heck of a mess to clean up after. I had a friend of mine get a cleaning brush stuck in his that we never got out.....of course we couldn't get the breech plug out , the grease fitting and grease gun didn't work either.

Now i have to dry-ball my flint just to see if it will work. I realize this is a cap-lock thing.
I made up a guided drill attachment for my ram rod. It works great to have a pilot hole in the ball. I pull my load every night when hunting with my flint, and sometimes at mid day also.

Attachments

• 04-16-08_1101.jpg
    04-16-08_1101.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 65
zxcvbob

No need to go to all that trouble. Just pull the ball with the scew Jag or use the rig that Gbro Came up with. Or the CO2 rig that works on the principal you mentioned. I have one of those CO2 rigs but no longer use it. I just pull the ball & patch. Sabots are easier to pull than the patched round ball. Never had a brush get stuck but there is always a first time. Actually, the two stuck ramrods were challenging enough.

Be Safe !!!

Gbro

Hoopah,
What are you shooting that you stick your ramrod in?

Think you are addressing this question to me??? !!!
We use to get our M/L's from the state and they were in pretty sad condition. :barf:
Some folks still do not understand that no matter what powder you are using, you still have to clean. While setting up for a shoot, I always asked the new instructors to first run a brush, wet swab down the bore, more if needed and then a dry swab. He decided that the dry should go first and got it stuck in the fouling. The other time, we were cleaning between groups of students and again, dry down a dirty barrel. The first rod we blew out with the CO2 rig and the second, we dumped a fair amount of Hoppe's #9 Plus and let it soak for about a half hour and that pulled right out. After many years of putting up with dirty M/L's, finally got a conservation group to purchase their own. I maintain these and use them for teaching in the county. That has eliminated more than one problem. :)

Back