98k shoots high

enstorm

98k shoots about 6" high at 100 yds, can't set elevation any lower, not certain if this was Russian capture that was refurbished. Were 98k front sights manufactured at different heights? Suggestions appreciated

Military sights were set for something like 500 yards plus or minus.

No idea if a fix available, not a 98 guy, but I shoot a lot of Mil Surplus.

I shoot black balls and shoot at the bottom and see what patterns up high.

You can also take a sigh point low, or just let it fall where it does and see how she groups.

taller sights

just order a taller sight or build it up with epoxy or solder, then file it to make it work.

steve

I have run into this problem many times. The only real cure is a tall front sight. Find the load you like, file the sight down so you are where you want to be at 100 yards.

Brownells:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...er-91-dovetail-front-sight-blank-prod341.aspx

p_078050000_1.jpg

Vintage

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4014

DSC03450.JPG

Many/most military rifles had a beginning zero of around 300 yards due to the expectation of aiming at a vertical kill zone of 18-24". Aiming at this area with a 300 yard zero would assure a hit past 400 yards.

Granted the 400-yard battle sight
built into the M1917 Enfield rear sight was considerably more practical than the 547-yard battle
sight on the Springfield (

This would be what was for US.

I believe the K98 would be close to the 1903.

The nice things about a 1917 is it has a fine flip up peep sight that is better for closer range spot on shooting.

I think the correct sight picture for an original K98k or a Russian capture would be the top of the front sight post centered and even with the top surface of the rear sight leaf....if you don't want to F with the original sights you can take a "fine bead" by lowering the front post so it is even with the top of the notch, this will lower POI.

They all shoot high (by our standards) at 100yds. A couple of things you need to understand about European military marksmanship from that era. First, the "zero" range was usually 300m, or more, and second, soldiers were taught to aim for the enemy's belt buckle.

This method of sights and training meant increased probability of a torso hit, even if the shooter's range estimate was somewhat off.

TO get your rifle to be "on" at 100yds there are several paths you can take. Not all are easy, or satisfactory.

You COULD handload ammo (down) until you find a spot where the trajectory matches the sights at 100yds. You can make ammo to do this, BUT it won't be full power ammo, and therefore of limited use.

You can get a replacement front sight, taller than the original, and then "adjust" it (filing it down) in carefully measured amounts to get your rifle shooting to the point of aim desired. (This is the generally preferred method)

If you have the tools and expertise, you COULD mill down the rear sight base (what the sight is mounted on) to adjust the angle of rear & front sights, to change the point of impact. This is a complex task, involving knowing how much movement of the sight creates the desired change in point of impact (a calculation), and then actually cutting the metal correctly to achieve the desired goal. (This is a less desirable method for most of us, but does allow the use of the original sights)

OR, you can just do it the "Kentucky windage" way. If your rifle shoots high, AIM LOWER! :D
:rolleyes:

Best thing to do, is get a taller front sight, then work on it until you get the rifle shooting where you want, the way you look through the sights.

Overall comment is good.

However, with a battle zero of over 547 yard for a 1903 and 400 yards for a 1917, it was not limited to Europe.

Reality was only a shoot shot could do that reach out and touch someone at 300+ yards.

I can't imagine that modern ammunition doesn't have more to do with this than anything else. Propellant isn't what it was 100 years ago.

I shoot a Swede, pre-1900 small rings, 1908, 1909s, and K98 among others and they ALL shoot up and a bit right with new ammo, despite some having the rear sight range of 100 to an optimistic 1800 meters. Of course as collectibles, I'd never tinker with them, so just let the shots group where they do.

Back