929 "ti" cylinder issue

Venom1956

Hey guys I tried getting the best pictures I could I'm not sure what this is on the cylinder any ideas? I know some of the ti and aluminum cylinder have aprotective coating on it so wanted some input anyone seen this before?

https://m.imgur.com/a/t6BzX

I've never seen anyone describe what the actual coating on the ti cylinder is, but I've heard it mentioned a number of times. Supposedly the coating helps protect against the effects of heat - whatever that means. If the coating is compromised you get a dull look - probably similar to those pictures. What kind of cleaners and pads were used on that gun?

I use CLP on my 929 and 325 PD. The 325's manual recommends the use of CLP. Ive never opened the manual for 929 so I'm not sure if it recommends anything specific.

"...some of the ti and aluminum cylinder have aprotective coating on it..." I don't think that there is any such thing as an aluminum revolver cylinder and I don't think Titanium needs any kind of a coating. I have a Titanium object that I pilfered from the scrap bin where I once worked so that I could have a sample of Titanium for reference. It was a socket for a prosthetic limb and appears to be uncoated. It looks and feels much like aluminum only harder to scratch and heavier than Aluminum, but lighter than steel.

Yeah Smith made a few alum cylinder revolvers a 22 and 38spl I believe with steel inserts? Idk I just remember people messing them up from using abrasives on it and seeing how this is my only ti revolver figure it best to be cautious. Can ti rust? I don't even know. Did that link to pictures work?

"...Ti and aluminum..." No Al in any revolver cylinder. An M929's cylinder is Ti.
However, Ti and Al get anodised.
As daft as it sounds(and probably is daft), that looks like lint. It come off with normal cleaning?
"...the effects of heat..." Ti lives for heat. The blades in jet engines are Ti.
"...Can Ti rust?..." Not like steel does. Except in sulphuric or hydrochloric acids. Ti oxidizes a protective film in the presence of water.
https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1336

gah I remember now Scandium. Derp thats what I was thinking of.

No it doesn't come off period. I am hesitant to use anything extremely abrasive as i was thinking about the scandium frames. Smith wants me to ship it back. I might just do that. seems excessive but I haven't used it much this year I cant really find grips I like. VZ seem a bit to thin unfortunately.

I have a model 43 the air weight version of the model 34. It was made in 1972 and it has an aluminium cylinder. They also made a k frame .22lr with a 10 shot Al cylinder. Most car engines today have an aluminium alloy block, no liners in the cylinders and they hold up much better than the old Iron engine blocks

Most car engines today have an aluminium alloy block, no liners in the cylinders and they hold up much better than the old Iron engine blocks

Most, if not all,, car engines that have aluminum blocks are sleeved.

Chevy Vega / Porsche 928

Seems an odd combination of cars huh.
The similarity is the casting technology used to make the engine block for each cars engine.
Yup, unlined Aluminum bores.

Porsche developed the casting technology for the 928 V8 engine. I don't recall the name of the technology presently.

The Porsche motors basically have glass like cylinder bores that do not wear, thanks to the Silicon in the casting technology.

GM licensed the casting technology from Porsche. GM took shortcuts and we got the Vega, likely the worst engine that Detroit ever produced.

The fatal flaw were the shortcuts GM took in production, mainly focused on time.

The technology was not flawed, the execution of it was.

Scandium is a rare earth metal -- very expensive ..S&W 's Scandium is just aluminum with about 1 % Scandium !!
The strange named alloys may require careful cleaning etc .Read the instructions.

Back