92 S&W CTGE. Serial # I188xxx

Lounan

Inactive
I recently inherited this revolver and was told my grandfather carried it while chief of police in a small midwestern town 80+ years ago. Is it possible to get info on something this old?

Only if you give accurate information!
I can guarantee it doesn't say "92 S&W." More likely .32.
Post pictures and we can tell you more.

"I" frame?

The serial number beginning with "I" may indicate it is an "I" frame. The "I" frame was a precurser to the "J" frame and was essentially a small frame revolver in either .22 long rifle or .32 S&W (Long).

The "I" frames date from the early part of the last century and were popular for their convenient size and weight.

We have now exhausted my information.

I must confess, when I saw the title "92 S&W CTGE" I was wondering when the riot would form in preparation for being the first to buy one.

So far AIK ( and there is a lot I don't know ) S&W issued no serial numbers with an I prefix, I frame, M frame, J frame or what ever.;)

In fact, S&W issued no serial numbers with letter prefixes or suffixes before the Victory Model. It was post-war before they began to use letters to distinguish models by serial number. Before that a given serial number could appear on any of a dozen or more different guns.

I am almost certain that that "I" should be a "1".

Jim

Back