9 pellet vs 12 pellet recoil

mvdemarco

Do the 12ga. 12 pellet loads ALWAYS have more recoil than 9 pellet loads? As far as 12 pellet loads go, I've only tried the Remington OO buck Magnum and it DID have a noticeable difference in recoil and report! I am looking at purchasing a case of Federal O buck 12 pellet ammo online and I'm kind of wondering if this ammo performs in the same manner. Advice from all veteran shotgunners would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mike

0 buck is smaller than 00,Mike, thus the pellets weigh less apiece.

12 pellet 00 is a real kicker in most shotguns.
And, I doubt there's much that it will do that the 9 pellet load will not. All that comes to mind is building a flinch and going through anti- inflammatories and money faster.Unless your neighborhood has a severe Velociraptor infestation, nothing shot by you will be able to tell if it was a 9 pellet or 12 pellet load.

Since each shotgun patterns different loads well and poorly, i suggest getting some 5 packs and doing a bit of patterning with same. Go with the smallest patterning one that has a tolerable level of kick.

Hate to sound like a broken record about this, but Estate Ammo's SWAT 00 gives good, tight patterns and has a little less recoil. Bonus, it's cheap...

Last edited:
Not surprisingly, I agree with Dave that the 12-pellet 00 rounds are hard on the shoulder.

As sort of a variation on a theme, I'll just toss out to the group that I unexpectedly wound up with a few 25-round boxes of Remington's Reduced Recoil 8-pellet 00 Buck load. I thought I was getting the 9-pellet load from Georgia Arms, but wound up with the 8-pellet load (not that it really matters to me). Any comments from those with experience with 8-pellet 00 loads on how they compare to 9-pellet reduced recoil loads? I can't imgagine there's that much of a difference.

Note to wiseguys: I know the difference is "one pellet." :p

We may be picking nits here. Close range shotgun wounds, I'm told, differ little, regardless of whether it's a buck load or 8s. I doubt there's any more than theoretical differences here. This 8 pellet load more than equals a typical 20 ga load, still quite effective. Deer I've shot with 20 ga slugs wouldn't have gone down any faster with a 12.

My suggestion, try some and see.

Back