9 Murders in 7 Days !

• Thread starter Thread starter HS
  • Start date Start date

HS

Well, we've had an interesting week here in Aus, between the City of Brisbane & Ipswich(50mls) we've managed to have 1 strangulation, 2 beaten to death(together), 1 shooting/homicide(drug related),1 more strangulation(5 charged & drug related) & a Woman gases herself & 4 kiddies in their Van!
Oh, we're the LUCKY COUNTRY alright. :(
------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/

[This message has been edited by HS (edited July 08, 1999).]

Hs, its definitely a shame, but at least the anti crowd cant blame firearms........hope it gets better......fubsy.

HS, what's the political climate like "down under" since the apparent failure of the gun ban? Are the citizens in an uproar about this?

Is there any movement or possibility of repealing the ban. I'd be very interested if you would fill us in.

CMOS

I've been wondering about that too. Seems like all the Aussies I've met were pretty self-reliant folks with a pretty good "freedom mindset" if you know what I mean.

What happened to those living way out in the outback, did they get to keep any firearms? I can't imagine anyone 20 or 30 miles out of town being defenseless. Its a shame that a country like Australia, which is pretty unpopulated, never really had a serious crime problem (if you don't count the criminals that were dumped there in the first place, anyway) and so much open space, fell victim to anti-gun hysteria.

This will give you some idea of the "mindset" of the government towards firearms. It's from a press release put out by the New South Wales government, but the sentiments would be nationwide. (Bold type mine.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>From July 1999 the Director-General of the Ministry for Police will be undertaking a review of the Firearms Act 1996. This review is required under section 92 of the Act, under which a review must commence as soon as possible after 28 June 1999. The objective of the review is to determine whether the policy objectives of the Act remain valid, and whether the terms of the Act remain appropriate for securing those objectives.
The principles and objects of the Act are:

* To confirm firearms possession and use as being a privilege that is conditional on the overriding need to ensure public safety. 
* To improve public safety by imposing strict controls on the possession and use of firearms, and by promoting the safe and responsible storage and use of firearms. 
* To facilitate a national approach to the control of firearms. 
* To prohibit the possession and use of all automatic and self-loading rifles and shotguns expect in special circumstances. 
* To establish an integrated licensing and registration scheme for all firearms. 
* To require each person who possesses or uses a firearm under the authority of a licence to prove a genuine reason for possessing or using the firearm. 
* To provide strict requirements that must be satisfied in relation to licensing of firearms and the acquisition and sales of firearms. 
* To ensure that firearms are stored and conveyed in a safe and secure manner and 
* To provide for compensation in respect of and an amnesty period to enable the surrender of certain prohibited firearms.[/quote]

Our problem is not dissimilar to yours -- most non-gunowners neither know nor care what the truth is -- they believe what the media feed them.

The woman who killed herself and her five children by gassing them in the car was here in Perth. I actually heard of an anti-gunner who cited this as proof that gun prohibition works, "because the kids weren't shot'. I'm glad I wasn't there to hear that firsthand because I'd be up on an assault charge now!!

Gunowners are still hurt, angry and feel betrayed by their government and fellow Australians. Our biggest problem is infighting and fragmentation -- until we get together as a single, unified body we will achieve very, very little. In fact, it will get worse, because the anti-gun organisations are very, very cohesive and focused.

Given our past history of legislative repeal, I believe it is impossible (presently) that this legislation will be repealed. Pro-gun politicians are in the minority, and stand absolutely no chance of holding power in their own right.

Landowners (farmers) are subject to the same regulations as the rest of us. Their advantage is that, if their property is large enough, they can obtain "open" licences for larger-calibre firearms than the rest of us.

Finally, here is a page that gives a brief State-by-State overview of licensing requirements in Australia:

http://www.ssaa.org.au/lawindex.html

B
(Gotta get me one of them fancy signatures:
How about: "Gotta go -- the kids have chewed through their ropes"?) ;)

Bruce, here are 2 to consider:
"The Pistolero from Perth"
Or for the Latin minded:
"Spookus Sneakinus"
From Beaufighter 93 Squadron that was formed at Kingaroy QLD, on the 23rd of Jan. 1945.
The Beaus were so quiet coming in at tree top level, the Japs usually didn't know what hit 'em as the Eight 46lb rockets & four 20mm Hispano cannon & six 7.7mm machines guns let rip.
Their unofficial Title was "The Whispering Death" - Totally unacceptable in todays Politically correct world eh guys?

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/

Back