8mm surplus ammo - where have I been?

jclayto

I haven't needed to buy surplus ammo in a while as I had a good supply. Today I started shopping for 8mm surplus which always seemed to be around the same price as the x54 and can't seem to find any. Did I miss the memo? Did the 8mm surplus ship sail already?

You were left on the shore.Last batch that i seen was some berdan primed Yugo about 3 years ago, that came in the same time as some 24/47's.About the only thing local is some 8mm prvi.

I stocked up on the Romanian 2 years ago, glad I did, got in one last case, went to order more a week later, all gone from several sources. The Prvi 8mm is outstanding stuff, going for $20 a box here, dollar a round, so I'm buying brass and looking at a reload setup.

About 18 months ago I had to decide on 54R or 8mm. Cost & availabilty was about the same for each... then. Not no more.

Some say 7mm Mauser, .303 Brit, 7.62 Argentine, 6.5x55 and 8mm et al, will come back. I hope so. Dought it, but hope so.

The Mosin action isn't a Mauser, but the ammo is still around and at ~.22cent to .25cent a round depending if you prefer Tuna or Spam Can varity.

Surplus for just about everything has largely dried up, unfortunately.

Some years ago we were awash in .303 British. Then poof, it's gone.

I still see surplus ammo all around; it's just not sold in cans of 1200 for .15 a round any more. Mostly it's sold in boxes of 20 for $1.00 - $1.50 a round as though it were factory fresh.

"Mostly it's sold in boxes of 20 for $1.00 - $1.50 a round as though it were factory fresh."

Exactly, because the supply has largely dried up, pushing surplus prices up as with any commodity that is in limited supply but high demand.

Gosh, that stinks.. I had cases of it sitting around until my house burned last weekend. I never really thought to keep stocking up as it was always cheap and plentiful and not a caliber I shot often. Guess I'll stock up on the x54 while its still cheap. I don't shoot much of it either, but I guess I better get it while it's here.

Thanks everyone

I wish I could find some more of that Romanian Light Ball, that stuff is outstanding and not long ago was everywhere.
The Ship has definately sailed. Great cartridge, shame its so mis understood.

The LGS here has a huge ammo can full of 8mm Mauser selling it for $2.50 for 5 rounds with a stripper clip. Even worse is they are teasing me with an 8mm Mauser (Not sure of origin) for $198 with all the do dads, and 4 of the stripper clips with 5 rounds each.:eek: Looks like I will have to lay it away on Friday if it is still there.

That's a pretty good price compared to what I've been seeing at gun shows lately...

Maybe I should finally spring for a Moisin Nagant...

Anyone know what the shipping runs on an 880 count tin?

Thanks Larry

I will go ahead and order a 880 Round Box. Thanks again. OOPS, I checked the link it was 7.62x54 I would recomend getting that though, because one day the 54 will dry up too.
I ordered some 8x57 Dies this afternoon and a couple of hundred bullets.

I have been reloading alot this year for .308, but ordered dies and bullets for 8x57 Mauser. Ive got a Yugo 24 47 Rifle that I bought from Samco Global with a bent bolt handle, that I love.
Ive got some 8x57 brass, and a nice pile of 30 06 brass.
Here is a good Yutube video of how to make 8x57 brass from 270 Winchester cases, you can do the same with 30 06 brass a little easier.
I like this guy, he is pretty cool.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYOYG97msAA

Anyone know what the shipping runs on an 880 count tin?
Not sure, but FWIW you want to order them in pairs, because you'll typically be charged less per unit and you should get a protective wooden crate and a can opener. :)

Back