8MM Mauser Steel Jacketed Bullets

markr

I recently purchased a box of 100 loose 8MM Mauser ammo with what looks like steel jacketed bullets. I was going to shoot it in my VZ24.

Can anybody fill me in on what this ammo is?

Thanks

does it look like this ?,, I have a few of these.

Turkish I think :confused:,,,,, probably wrong though,,:eek:

Attachments

• 8mm 004.jpg
    8mm 004.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 8mm 015.jpg
    8mm 015.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 8mm 012.jpg
    8mm 012.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 81
I learned something new. I have some very similar rnds for my 303. I was always told they were AP rnds. In a stripper clip with 2rnds of white tipped. I was told they are tracer.

If old, the jackets might be cupro-nickel, a common jacket material through the 1930's. If later, they may be mild steel plated with cupro-nickel to keep the steel from rusting.

U.S. makers have not used cupro-nickel since about 1935, generally using gilding metal, which looks like copper. WWII U.S. bullets were usually steel jacketed, but plated with gilding metal rather than cupro-nickel for rust prevention.

The mild steel used in bullet jackets will not decrease barrel life unless you plan to fire an awful lot of it in short periods, like 750 rounds per minute.

Cupro-nickel jackets will cause a build up in barrel, but cupro-nickel plated steel will be no problem (check with a magnet).

Jim

The mild steel used in bullet jackets will not decrease barrel life unless you plan to fire an awful lot of it in short periods, like 750 rounds per minute.

That might be fun to attempt in this 80 year old bolt action rifle!

does it look like this ?,, I have a few of these.

Turkish I think ,,,,, probably wrong though,,

They look exactly like those. Except your headstamps have the Turkish crescent moon and star. Mine do not. Just letters/numbers.

I plan to break one down and weigh the components, then cut the bullet in half so I can see the cross section. No reason in particular, just out of curiosity.

"The mild steel used in bullet jackets will not decrease barrel life unless you plan to fire an awful lot of it in short periods, like 750 rounds per minute."

"That might be fun to attempt in this 80 year old bolt action rifle!"

More practice, more practice! ;)

Jim

Back