870 troubles

RoyalWe

Hello, today while out hunting some grouse and squirrels my 870 failed to fire, then the trigger didn't reset when I cycled it. After that the safety will not engage. The trigger while not fully resetting, it seems that the hammer is cocking, will still cause a metallic click. Any ideas as to what's wrong and/or how to fix it?

First the practicals and then the particulars.

It's always somewhat of an insult to suggest, disassembly and "cleaning". They are very easy to disassemble to a point where you can make a good inspection. You can also just drop the trigger group. Then you will be in a better position to determine any follow-up work. Also, YouTube has a bunch of videos that can help.... :)

Be Safe !!!

I've done that and it seems to function better, but it just looks like the trigger isn't going all the way forward. I could just be wrong.

Do you have an owner's manual? I suspect the trigger group still needs a really good cleaning. Sometimes weed seeds or whatever can get in the darnedest places. If you are not familiar with how to take it at least partially apart look for videos on YouTube or find someone who is. It isn't that hard. Remember, you do NOT need to force anything either coming apart or going back together if you do it right. Good luck.

You should be able to fix that with the help of youtube, but if after all is said and done you are not confident that all is correct, take it to a gunsmith.

Back