870 rifle sights....custom?

bamaranger

I was in a shop the other day and saw a Rem 870 w/ 20" bbl with a set of rifle sights. The sights were very heavy duty in appearance, and appeared to possibly be T/C muzzle loader rear (square rear notch) and a front ramp of unknown make, with dovetailed front blade, resembling a "Baughman" but orange faced. The whole affair was very easy to see and pick up, heavy duty, and seemed well done and very professional.

Anybody familiar with such an arrangement, or know of a 'smith doing such things. They'd be far superior to the factory irons.

Does a T/C muzzleloader rear (flat base) seem doable on a round 870 barrel? What about the Contender rear with the curved base?

nope

Cowtown

Your pic shows a factory barrel with a factory sight set. I am familiar with same owning a slug barrel so equipped, and the arrangement in the pic is OEM.

The factory sights feature a rear that is adjustable on the ramp, has a U-notch rear, and a bead front.

The rig I saw is both screw adjustable for elevation and windage and has a square rear notch and baughman blade front.

I k now a pic would help, but none at this time.

Sounds like somebody just replaced the factory sights(that are indeed poor) with some aftermarket sight. Might well be a T/C muzzle loader rear. Not really a custom smithy thing to do if the screw holes match.

think so

I dunno. But I wonder if there are screw holes for the factory ramps at all?

Seems they may be sweated/welded on? I know they screw on for rifles...but there is not much metal on the shotgun barrel, especially at the muzzle with screw in chokes.

I feel certain this is a custom job, just wondered if there was some outfit known for such a set up. It'd be great on a turkey gun, I am wanting to improve on the factory rifle sights.

What I may well do is modify a factory rear blade by opening the notch, and simply installing a stout front blade in the factory dovetail.

also

The tube/barrel I saw seemed to be a 18" bead sighted barrel that had the hardware that I have been trying to describe, attached. No factory ramps at all, all aftermarket/additions.

Thanks all for interest.

Yeah, I know, pics would help.

Back