870 forend removal

BKinzey

Inactive
What's the best way? Looks like a specific tool is used and I don't have it. I need to cut it so the sidesaddle will fit. After cutting the synthetic forend what have you used to "finish" it? I'm probably going to use a hack saw to cut it and wonder what to neaten it up with. File, Dremel, sandpaper, old soldering iron?

I think your best bet is to buy a new foreend. It should come with the key to unscrew the washer on the current part. Save the leftovers for later, you never know when you may need it.
If you have not already bought the sidesaddle, Scattergun makes one that holds 4 rounds instead of the 6, for the folks with the factory foreends.

To answer your question, in an emergency I once took a flat piece of steel about 1/8" thick and cut it to the correct width to fit into the end of the collar that holds the fore end on. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the other end for a 'tee' handle. This worked OK. Unless you want to buy a wrench from Brownell's you might try this.

To finish the cut, fine sandpaper works as well as anything.

The 6-8 times I've had to remove a forend for varied reasons, I've just opened up a set of needlenose pliers, set the tips in the notches and unscrewed the big nut.

I found some needle nose pliers which were square nosed and used those. I then used a Dremel blade to cut the forend and sanded the rough spots. Not perfect but looks good. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back