870 Feed reliability.

oberkommando

Have an 870 with broken (took it out completly) ejector and it seems to hang up feeding, would a missing ejector affect feeding? BTW I also switched bolts assemblies out of it and have a different 870 assembly in it than it came with factory.
Got flex tab btw.And most shell were 3" that hung up.

Had ejector break a few months in the past screwing around with double feeding two snap caps at once, I thought if I manipulate it with my hand that I could feed a shell into the chamher while one is on the carrier (like a benelli can) found out quick that it aint a good practice with an 870.When went to eject the chamber shell it tweaked the ejector badly. I know that sounds confusing, and basically I was trying to reset trigger without ejecting shell out of reciever, and pulled slide a little too far back and second shell was dropped into reciever from tube. So tried anyway to feed original shell while holding new one down, IIRC it kinda worked but tweaked it upon trying to clear the shells out. Yeah I know now that I should only use one shell if going to just reset trigger.

Will fix in the future, btw the gun is reliable overall with 2 3/4 tac loads if the slide is cycled really hard, in other words it still ejects the shells OK.

Oberkommnado, the ejector pushes the rim of the shotgun shell over a bit so the rim can be grasped by the extractor. It also helps center the case head on the bolt. This second function is extremely critical with the longer 3" shells (as you've already noted).

I'd recommend you get a new ejector installed on your 870 by a good gunsmith or the Remington factory.

I think I'd send it to the factory unless your gunsmith has a 3" ejector on hand. It'll probably take less time and you are assured the job will be done right the first time.

Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited September 18, 2000).]

Back