870 Express

fyrfytrj

I have a Rem 870 express 12 gauge with a 26" barrel . I want an 870 HD, for the house. Can I buy a new barrel and a pistol grip and convert or should I go with the 870 HD?? I called Remington and they said the shortest they would sell me is 20". Is that too long??
Also being that on my 870, the stock and forearm are wood, and the HD has synthetic, do they offer a wood pistol grip to match the 870 express forearm???? thanks for the help...

Fyrftrj, just recently I picked up an 870 with remingtons 20" I.C.(improved cylinder) barrel. It's a smooth bore deer barrel, best of all it has some pretty nice sights on it. The reasons for my choice: 18" vs.20", it's only a 2" difference. You wont have that crap looking muzzle from a cut down. Sights are already part of it(fairly low profile, quick,and cheaper than ghost rings...though those would be nice if $ is no problem) You could use it for hunting if the need ever arose, it'll take slugs & buckshot. I really don't like the pistol grip shotgun thing so I kept the wood( I'll get synthetic later, Rem. only offers synthetic on the rifled version*#%"!&.)but I did cut the butt down about 1" and it feels a lot better already. You can also install a 2 round extension. You still might want to check out www.vangcomp.com and scattergun technologies located at www.wilsoncombat.com

fyrfytrj,I agree with Strabs that the 2" really won't make much of a difference. However, if you are set on it having to be 18", check out the www.mossberg.com site. They list 18.5" barrels for 870's. I have no idea on their durability, etc. as I only have been shopping around for a camping/backpack 12 Ga. for the last 2 months and stumbled on this option searching the web. Hope this helps.

Forgo the pistol grip, unless you have a hinge in your forearm, there's no CQ advantage. Back when I instructed, we had some folding stocks with PGs that the troops had to qualify with shooting from the hip. Most found it harder to qualify,some impossible.

I know of no serious WIHTF types that use one, and plenty who agree with me. See the old threads here, there's plenty of input.

Also, my HD 870 has an 18 inch bbl, my deer 870 a 20, and it serves as backup for HD other than during the season. Still very manueverable in tight places, and I'm on the large side...

Finally, instead of the extras, put your money into ammo and range time. ANY pump manned by a qualified,motivated shooter is a weapon of awesome capabilities. The extras can come later....

fyrftrj,
I belive that all of the replies are on the right track.I had a Winchester 1300 with a pistol grip and it was very painful to shoot with fullpower loads. I would stick with the factory stock. If you must have a pistol grip,buy the stock that has a pistol grip built in,it looks and feels alot like the
AR-15. You can get these stocks from "Cheaper Than Dirt" as well as other places.As far as barrel length goes 20 inches is just fine. You said you were going to use this weapon for home defense right? That means you are probably not going to be shooting more than a few yards.(ten or less). A shotgun spreads very little at that range no matter what gauge or barrel length.Try it, put up a target, take a few steps back and then fire a round. A 12 gauge at about 5 yards puts a 12 gauge+ size hole in the target.So a shorter barrel has little to do with performance,it just makes it a little easier to carry and swing.If you buy a 20 inch barrel and hate it you can always have a gunsmith cut it down, but I doubt you will be able to tell the difference.
Calvin

Cableas sells the 18.5" Mossberg for Remington 870 barrel (blue, cyl bore, gold bead front site). I had one delivered last week. Excellent quality. I read on another thread that Remington makes these for Mossberg anyway so you are actually getting a Remington factory barrel. Cabelas is also about $15.00 cheaper than direct from the mossberg web site. Good luck. www.cabelas.com

I bought an 18" police model rifle sight barrel for ~$150 from a police supply company. It doesn't quite match the HDs finish, though.

Before you think of putting the money out for a pistol grip... try shooting one. I mean with a duty or field load and them run through some senarios.

Suggestion... get a standard stock and cut about two inches off it if the length is a concern. Even a partial stock would be envaluable.

The 20" barrel should do fine, the shorter you go the "retraining" you would need.

OH !!! Practice Practice Practice.... when you feel comfortable do it some more.

People will not rise to the occassion... they'll only default to their level of training.
------------------
Be Safe, Be Trained

Life is tough...it's alot tougher if you don't know how to shoot.

[This message has been edited by Tackleberry (edited February 09, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Tackleberry (edited February 09, 2000).]

Back