870 Cut me.... BAD SHOTGUN, BAD!

Badger Arms

Seriously, I was cleaing my 870 Turkey Express (which makes a nice HD gun with extended magazine and side-saddle) when I pulled my hand out of the receiver and started bleading... BIG TIME. Cold water didn't stop the blood from dripping at about one drop per second so I applied pressure for five minutes, bandadged it up and went back to cleaning.

Now, my question is that my Wingmaster never did this to me. Is the Express supposed to have the razor sharp milling edges inside? Also, how would I get this cleaned up so it wouldn't cut me again?

Badger, some do, some don't. I'd take it down, and use a ceramic hone(Crockstick) or Hard Arkansas machinist's stone to take off all the sharp edges. Wipe clean, relube, reassemble, and you have one that won't bite you, but will shuck a bit more slickly.

I'm glad I'm not the only one this has ever happened to. Only mine was (is) a Wingmaster. The bottom edge of the milled slot that one of the action bars runs in, sliced my thumb as if it was a fileting knife while also cleaning. I havent done anything about it yet but will.

You've got watch yourself in side a gun. An old local gunsmith (shade tree type) literaly almost bled to death, after cutting his hand open on the bottom receiver of a Winchester 73 rifle. I've got one, and the bottom edge might as well be a razor blade.
Newer guns are FULL of burs and "wire edges".

You gotta be careful when you put your hands INSIDE of machinery and guns are machines. The outside might be made not to snag or cut, but the inside usually is not and so you must use precautions. That part of the gun was not designed for hands.

Back