870 buttstock surprise

Big Bear

We all know about the little dimple in the mag tube in an 870 that prevents one from adding an extension. Well, today I ran across another little surprise. I'm changing the buttstock on my 870 Express. I'm putting a wood 870P buttstock on it and the hollow tube that runs the length of the stock is much bigger than one in the original stock. Sheesh! Looks like I either need to put a long bushing in there or just add a bigger washer. And to top it off, I can't get the forend off. I tried a pair of needle-nose pliers as was suggested in another thread, but that sucker's on there tight. This is not a good day.

Bear, on the forestock, some of them are on REEEEALLY tight and you just have to use a purpose-made tool. The best is somewhere around $20 from Brownells but SureFire ships what is essentially a giant screwdriver blade with their replacement forestocks, and you could make something similar very cheaply from some bar stock.

Did your Express have a synthetic stock? The retaining bolts I have seen are different for wood and synthetic.

never had the problem I got 3 870's a 1973,1978, and 1980
all wingmasters 20 inch.BUY low mileage used 870's at your local toy store!!!!

This 870 Express is about 10 years old. Wood stocks, not synthetic. The new police stock set I'm putting on it are wood too. I reckon I'll just put a bigger washer on the buttstock bolt and be done with it, though the sloppiness doesn't give me warm and fuzzies. Does the 870P use a bigger bolt or something? I have no idea why the police buttstock would have a larger diameter bolt hole through it unless maybe it has something to do with reducing the weight a little bit.

On the forend, a shooting buddy of mine from my workplace made me a tool, basically a length of pipe with a wide blade welded onto one end of it and a t-handle welded onto the other end. We both tried and we couldn't get it to budge. WD40 no help. Just like you said, JNewell, that sucker is on there REEEEALLY tight. I was afraid that if I put any more pressure on it I would either break the forend or bend one of the action bars. I think at this point I'll make a trip to my friendly neighborhood gunsmith and see if he has any tricks up his sleeve.

You might try a better penetrating oil like Lock-ease. Follow the directions for the long penetrating time. Sounds like yours is on more than tight, there may be some corrosion or rust.

Here's a real science project. I was trying to figure out how to use heat on the nut to get it to expand some. I figure if you use a torch directly you run the chance of burning the forend, if you don't care about the old forend burn away. If you do use your built tool to transfer the heat. Put the tool in place on the nut and use a torch to heat the shaft, the heat should transfer to the nut by the blade of the tool.

Just wanted to follow up and say I got the new buttstock and forend on yesterday. I ended up taking the forend to a local gunsmith and he charged me to swap it out, but hey, he has to pay his utility bills like everyone else. The new furniture looks great! Next I'll add a sidesaddle when it comes in. I ordered it earlier this week. Then it'll be range time and practice, practice, practice.

The Buttstock Fit Problem...

Something went click in my mind reading your post, Bear. (It coulda been something breaking, haven't had coffee yet... :-) )

The PMs (maybe all wood-stocked 870s?) have a metal shim/spacer between the buttstock and the rear of the receiver. It's about 1/16th thick, maybe a little more. I think it's for recoil protection, but it may be that the buttstock won't fit correctly without it. Either way, if you don't have that part, I'd get one and install it. Even if it doesn't fix the fit, it may prevent other problems with the buttstock.

The walnut on those PMs is really nice, isn't it? Not fancy grade stuff -- just honest, straightgrain walnut, like you used to see on good firearms. Hard to find today...

Yes, Romulus, I think you are! :-( My local dealer just got a brand new PM in stock, and with all the talk 'bout Remington in the past six months, I looked it over very carefully. There have been no recent changes -- and it has a very nice piece of straight-grained walnut for the buttstock.

The PM buttstocks are stamped "PM" on the forward end where they butt against the aft part of the receiver. Did you buy the shotgun new -- if you bought it used, perhaps someone swapped the buttstock?

I am really happy that I chose to go with the wood funiture on my 870P. The scan of the photograph caused it to look a little more "red" than it actually is but I much prefer the wood as opposed to synthetic, it's also nice and straight forward with no checkering or anything.

870Pr.jpg

JNewell, my shotgun has that shim. It's a flat plate that goes between the buttstock and the receiver.

What I was referring to is that the shaft that runs the length of the buttstock, the one the buttstock bolt goes through, is larger in diameter than the original stock and larger than the washers on the bolt. The bolt just dropped straight through. I installed a larger diameter flat washer under the factory flat washer and that seemed to do the trick.

uglygun, I've seen pics of some of your other guns, but that 870 doesn't fit your namesake. Very nice. I don't have a pic of my 870 but here's the stocks that went on it:
ac3.jpg

Got the set on eBay for $35, and yup, it's walnut. Not bad, eh?

JNewell, my 870 Police was new in the box...and I'm telling you, it's friggin' BIRCH!!! It is uncheckered with a short forend, just like Big Bears' furniture in the posted pic.

Irrelevant: the metalwork is so sucky that I really want to sell the piece and get another Ithaca anyway...

Why me? Big Bear, that's beauteous, I'm crying right now thinking of my crappy birch stock...

Back