870 Brushmaster????

ChrisR246

Has anyone ever heard of this? While looking around a local gun store I found 2 left handed 870's. Both were 12ga 20" barrel, Choked IC. adjustable rifle sights. I thought this was called the deerslayer or something, but the tag said either Brushmaster or Bushmaster. It was $240. I've been considering a slug gun and this seemed perfect but with the odd name I'm not sure.

The name "Deerslayer" is applied to the Ithaca 37 and its descendants,Chris. And I admit the Bushmaster/Brushmaster is a new one on me.

The price sounds OK, but not a steal. If you like it, get it....

The Brushmaster was based on the Wingmaster, had a monte carlo stock and a 20" barrel with rifle sights. Remington discontinued them in 1994 but offer the same gun in the Express model these days. Before putting my money down, I would check the chamber length. Remington went to 3" chambers on this gun in 1985 according to the Blue Book of Gun Values and earlier models would be 2-3/4" if that matters to you. I shoot almost exclusively 2-3/4" and the deer haven't noticed the difference. The asking price sounds about right. The Blue Book quotes $255 for one in 95% condition with an added $43 for a left hander.

Thanks for the Input

Dave McC - you're right, my bad - the Remington is just called the Deer Gun (I wonder how much $ some marketing genius got for that).

PJR - Thanks. Where does one get a Blue Book of Gun Values? Is it published every year? I will check the chamber, but I only plan on using 2-3/4 inch anyway.

Back