870 Barrel Wiggle?

JNewell

What does it mean when you can rotate the barrel of an 870 a little when it's properly tightened down on the mag tube and receiver? Is something extremely worn in the receiver, or the barrel extension?

Seen a lot of this, and no unsafe conditions result, at least so far. It's one big reason I get asked to "Take a look" at someone's pump gun every year when they can't hit the right Zip Code with slugs. And it's not confined to 870s.

I'm assuming you're tightening the mag tube nut handtight. Sometimes, even on newer shotguns, this leaves enough play for the bbl to move a bit. Tighten by hand as much as possible, then using a padded set of channlelocks, tighten it ONE click,and check. This should remove the slop and leave the bbl immobilized.If it doesn't,seek the tender ministrations of a good 870 smith.However, haven't seen any yet this quick fix didn't cure.

My 870 does the same thing. And I too questioned this when I purchased it. The answer was something to the effect of as long as the locking lugs lock up with the barrel as designed this won't be a problem. I did notice that the bolt does a little wiggle to the same tune as the barrel when I wiggle it. However, my slug barrel does NOT wiggle but there is a little movment of the bolt if I apply some thumb pressure to it when the gun is in slug mode.

As far as accuracy and being able to hit the same zip code. That barrel puts 5 on a 4 inch circle at 75 yards very consistently. It might be able to do better but minute of hog and deer is enough. As I and several have said before "that's almost a varmint hunting shotgun"

Back