870 and pin punches.

Sling Shot

Hi all. I just watched the AGI video on the Remington 870. It was very informative. One thing the smith failed to mention was what size punches he was using to do his work. So, what size punches do I need for the Remington 870, so that I can take off the trigger group and disassemble the trigger? Sling Shot

I use one about the size of a 2" or 2.5" finishing nail with a blunt point for field stripping my Exp. Mag. when it gets wet.
I've never disassembled the trigger group. In fact, I've never done more than what the manual says: Spray the trigger group with Rem-Oil, let it soak a bit, and then shake the excess off before reinstalling.

John

Buy a set of punches and then match the end of the pin to the the punch. Taking out the trigger group pins can be done with any size punch as long as it is smaller than the pin. Best to just take a piece of round stock and round off the end and polish smooth. This way you will not scar up the end of the pin. The trigger group pins are not held in very tight and come out easily. Watch for flying springs and plungers when taking apart the trigger group. Be aware that there are several parts in the trigger group that are riveted togather and should not be taken apart.
Good Shooting - John K

Yes, I am just going to buy a complete set of punches from Brownells, and that way I should have what I need.
Sling Shot

When I take out the trigger group on my 870 I use a golf tee. It doesn't mar the gun, it's the right size, and the price is right.

Yeah, I'm cheap alright.

RJ

Back