870 7-shot won't take 7!!!!

REALM

Ok, I bought a Remington 870 Marine Magnum last Christmas and it's suppose to be a 7 + 1 shotgun, but I've never gotten more than 6 in there. Is it the magazine spring or what? My cousin has the exact same gun (minus the folding stock) and from what I remember his held 7 like it was supposed to... any ideas?
Thanks.

--REALM

Realm,

Are you loading it with 3" shells? I have found that the advertised capacity usually assumes 2-3/4" shells.

Chuck

Chucko,
Nope, they're the 2 3/4". It only takes like 5 w/ 3" shells. The seventh one "almost" goes in all the way, but I'm about an inch shy. I think the spring is just getting hung up back there or something... maybe I'll just borrow my cousin's spring and see if that fixes it. I didn't even think of that one. Thanks.

--REALM

Now that you mention it I have the same problem with my "8rd." 870. It only takes 7 2 3/4" shells. The 8th one doesn`t quite make it. Marcus

Mike,
Really? I always thought it was a 7 + 1, and I could've sworn my cousin put 7 in the tube. Oh well, I feel better now... as longs as it's holding what it's supposed to... I'm happy. Thanks for the help... I feel stupid now. :)

--REALM

Think of it this way , your gun has an 18" barrel and your follower in the magazine is about 5/8" thick [for the factory version] , when you compress the spring fully the follower will stop at the small diameter shoulder at the end of the tube , roughly 1/4" short from the end of the muzzle . 18" barrel - 5/8" follower - 1/4" shoulder = 17 1/8" , 17 1/8" divided by 2 3/4" shell = 6.23 shells in the tube . I would swap out the stock follower with a Scattergun Technoligies follower , this would keep you from jamming the spring by trying to force in an extra shell . The Marine Magnums are great guns , I love mine . Good luck , Mike...

Mike,
I replaced my cruddy plastic follower with one from Choate, then I sanded the sides of it for a little smoother fit so I wouldn't have to push the shells so hard. Thanks.

--REALM

Back