870 16 gauge pattern results for turkey

cloud8a

Went out and hit the target with the two loads I found available here at academy and Walmart. Both targets hit from 35 yards.

1. Federal 2 3/4 1oz #6 shot

2. Remington 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz #4 shot

They look pretty similar to me. What do you guys think on a Turkey at that range?

HzZ04

Last edited:
Ok, a little more info is needed. What is the barrel length and what choke is being used?

and BTW neither of those two patterns would be effective on a turkey if you were making a head shot.

Last edited:
Does the gun have a 3" chamber? You might want to get hold of some turkey loads that fit you chamber and try again. You want see a lot of shot in the two inch center, something like this:

Attachments

• pattern2 4 web.jpg
    pattern2 4 web.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 39
How old is the gun and would you consider a new barrel with replaceable chokes? There's nothing wrong with a 16 ga other than the sourcing of ammo but a 12 ga. will give you a lot more options. I do web work for an operation here in central florida. They will actually make you use one of their guns if yours is questionable.

No it is 2 3/4. There is not a specialized 16 turkey load. I'm gonna try other brands like Fiocchi Golden Pheasant I can get fom Cabelas. These are just the first two I tried and easiest to get. Just curious if they are worthless against turkey.

The gun was made in 1960 its a Wingmaster. I might get another barrel for it in the future but for now I'm happy with what I have.

Try 20 yrds and 25 then move out to 30. If your calling and camo are working you can get him close and thats what counts. I use an 870 with a 20 inch barrel and a Carlson extended turkey choke. Shoot Rem nitro 3" 4 shot turkey loads. Osceola's are not real talkative but if you can get him comin and your cover is good, you can get him real close.

I don't want to trash your gun but my cousins son uses the same gun in 16 gauge and I think his key to success is getting the birds even closer. Sometimes he burrows a 12 gauge 3 1/2 for longer range. I wouldn't be confident in that pattern.

I don't want to trash your gun but my cousins son uses the same gun in 16 gauge and I think his key to success is getting the birds even closer. Sometimes he burrows a 12 gauge 3 1/2 for longer range. I wouldn't be confident in that pattern.

No I agree. The shells available that I used are questionable at the 35 yard range.

Here is my target at 18-22 yards. 1st shot at center of target 2nd shot to the left of the target.

Attachments

• IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 34
patterns

Hey Cloud,

Your pattern with #4 shot does not look centerd, it looks high and left. I would shoot another, from a bench with bags, and be sure of my hold and squeeze and see what you get.

Your pattern with #6 looks centered and even, but my eval is that it is very thin. I would have thought, that percentage wise, #6 shot would have done better, but patterns and shells/guns can be quirky things.

I would not hunt those #6's. The #4s may have some promise if you can center them, but I myself would search for/find some #6 shells and see if another brand load, do better. And #5 could be a good compromise.

pics

You sayin' the third pic you posted was shot twice?

Regardless, you are looking at a max effective range for your gun of about 30 yds or LESS at present says me.

Yeah I was at Cabelas the other day and picked up a box of Fiochi Golden Pheasant. The velocity was a little more than 1300 fps and I think might prove to be better. Turkey seasons over now though, But rabit season isn't .

Back