8 rd. vs 7 rd. magazines for 1911

8200 rpm
I have use Wilson Combat 8 and 10 round magazines in my IPSC limited gun for about 2 years and I have had not one problem or miss feed with them.

I find that if I have a mag problem, it is usually the last round that will fail to feed and that most often happens in the 8 round mags I have from both Chip McCormick and Wilson. I have also found the same problem with the 10 round Chip McCormicks where the last round is a problem if there is going to be a problem. This all will supposedly is caused by a weakened spring and the higher cap mags seem to be the ones most likely to have that problem since their springs compress more.

Hello. I, too, have experienced failures of the last round in the magazine to feed with some magazines (8 rnd). I just use 7 rnd magazines with no problems whatsoever. Best.

I've been using Wilson mags for about 12yrs. I either use the 7rd mags or download the 8rd'ers by 1. Had enough misfeeds with all 8rd mags to trust 'em.

For 8-rounders I've used Wilson, McCormick and the Colt factory mags with the McCormick follower. The Wisons have been totally reliable, The McCormicks I scrapped and the Colt factory mags become totally reliable once I threw away the Shooting Star followers and installed Wilson kits.
The Wilsons are what I carry and trust my life to.

I stick with the Wilson 7 round mags. If JMB thought 8 in the mag would work, he would have put 8 in the mag.

I say the followers are too short in the 8 rounders, and can tip too far in the mag body.

I stick with 7 round Metalform or Wilson mags. I have had a few 8 rounders and some have worked OK and others had the occassional misfeed (on the last round). They are OK for range work, loaded with 7, but most of all of my 1911 mags are 7 round, curved follower.

Officer's ACP Size

My experience with the McCormick 8-rounders has been very good.

I find the McCormick 7-rounders in Officer's ACP size to be good, but I do get an occasional failure when using LSWC ammo. JHP and FMJ work fine with them.

The Wilson-Rogers 7-rounder Officer's size are simply outstanding.

My experience with 8 - rounders has been hit and miss. Some of the Wilsons have worked fine and some have had a problem locking back after the last round. I have also had a few problems with the first round feeding.
My experience with other 8 - rounders have been much less satisfactory.
I only carry Wilson 8 - rounders that I have thoroughly tested. Most of my 1911 carry mags are 7 - rounders.

Been using the Mecgar mags that came with my Daly- Work great in both Daly and Springfield pistols, and I like the look of the base piece. Put about 400 rounds through mags, no problems so far. Just ordered more from Tapco.
Gunhound

It could be that I lucked out when I got my Shooting Star 8 rounders, no problems at all. Still, my best magazines are my old 7 round Randall's.

Back