7X57 Mauser

USAF Ret

I like me some Ruger Number 1s. They sell new ones in 257 Weatherby, 6.5 Creedmoor and 7x57 Mauser.

I am looking at a 270 on Gunbroker, but I can get a new one for the same price.

I have seen brass available for 7x57 reloading and in modern rifles they see to have some good ballistics.

Anyone have any experience? Would it be better just to buy the 270?

I had a 200th year liberty model 77 ruger, chambered for 7x57mm. My wife bought it new for me in 1977 and I hunted with it for a few years. Later it went to my son and he has taken many deer with it for decades. We always loaded it with hornady 139 grain interlocks and they worked fine on deer. About 10 years ago, I found myself missing the cartridge, and so bought a ruger 1A, chambered for 7x57mm. I haven't fired it in years and can't comment on what it's capabilities, but the 1A is short and handy. I recently bought some 130 grain, .284 diameter speer boat tail bullets with the idea of shooting my 1A again, but haven't loaded any yet. The 130 grain bullets should be pretty flat shooting and might make a good deer bullet (deer, but not elk).

The Ruger #1, .275 Rigby (that you're considering) would be an elegant and classic rifle. As for the 7x57 cartridge, there's a thread going right now about deer camp rifles. It is surprising how many hunters are using the 7mm mauser cartridge. I suspect they represent an older and more experienced demographic. In any case, I can't remember seeing a used 7x57 sporting rifle on the used gun rack. People who own them are clearly keeping them. That being said, if I were starting from scratch and looking for a 7mm rifle, I would go with a 7mm-08. As for the .270 Winchester cartridge, I would look for a .280 Remington instead, but that's just a personal quirk of mine.

Last edited:
I had a 200th year liberty model 77 ruger, chambered for 7x57mm. My wife bought it new for me in 1977 and I hunted with it for a few years. Later it went to my son and he has taken many deer with it for decades. We always loaded it with hornady 139 grain interlocks and they worked fine on deer. About 10 years ago, I found myself missing the cartridge, and so bought a ruger 1A, chambered for 7x57mm. I haven't fired it in years and can't comment on what it's capabilities, but the 1A is short and handy. I recently bought some 130 grain, .284 diameter speer boat tail bullets with the idea of shooting my 1A again, but haven't loaded any yet. The 130 grain bullets should be pretty flat shooting and might make a good deer bullet (deer, but not elk).

The Ruger #1, .275 Rigby (that you're considering) would be an elegant and classic rifle. As for the 7x57 cartridge, there's a thread going right now about deer camp rifles. It is surprising how many hunters are using the 7mm mauser cartridge. I suspect they represent an older and more experienced demographic. In any case, I can't remember seeing a used 7x57 sporting rifle on the used gun rack. People who own them are clearly keeping them. That being said, if I were starting from scratch and looking for a 7mm rifle, I would go with a 7mm-08. As for the .270 Winchester cartridge, I would look for a .280 Remington instead, but that's just a personal quirk of mine.
Not so much about the caliber, but the rifle. One of my few dream rifles. That and a BAR Safari BOSS.

With all the input here, I am stuck on the 270. I can get a No. 1 in 270 for about the same price as a 7X57 brand new. So, since I have started reloading, I don;t have t worry about ammo. Brass seems plentiful.

Only issue buying on Gubroker, you never know the condition of the barrel. Although, I ask.

Then there's nothing wrong with the Ruger #1, .275 Rigby. It has a 24 inch barrel, which might add a little more velocity, but still be a short handy rifle with the falling block action.

I'd say it depends on what you want out of the cartridge. The 7mm bore size runs bullet up to 175gr commonly, but .270 has very few bullets over 150gr made today.

Despite being a lower pressure round the 7mm Mauser is very close to the .270 in performance.

in the Ruger No.1, action length is the same for both rounds, so the length and weight difference in the bolt actions doesn't matter.

Either one would be a good choice, If you want to shoot heavier than 150gr, the 7mm has more choices.

Found a 270 WIN for a decent price in a Ruger No. 1. Supposedly had just been rebarreled by Ruger, but seller only had a shipping invoice. I noticed folks saying that rebarreling often leads to accuracy issues and someone else mentioned accuracy in general. I may not do the No. 1 after all. Beautiful rifles, but beauty fades with less than acceptable accuracy.

Last edited:
USAF Ret, I have 3-#1 and all three have been rebarrel. I didn't have Ruger do them but they should be record if they did them. Owner should provide that before you buy.

USAF Ret, I have 3-#1 and all three have been rebarrel. I didn't have Ruger do them but they should be record if they did them. Owner should provide that before you buy.
He provided a receipt, but there was information on it about the work done. I would like to trust him, but too much money to take a chance.

If you have the serial # you could call ruger and ask if its had any work done?

ALL Ruger can tell you is the condition it was in when it left the factory, and if Ruger has done any subsequent work on it. They can't tell you if someone else did any work on it, or what was done.

ALL Ruger can tell you is the condition it was in when it left the factory, and if Ruger has done any subsequent work on it. They can't tell you if someone else did any work on it, or what was done.

I called Ruger and they confirmed the rifle was rebarreled to the original caliber a month ago - 270 Win. Bought it this afternoon. I will not be looking at the 7x57 as the goal was to get a No.1.

Last edited:
I use 7X57 Mauser brass to form 257 Roderts, Roberts AI, 6mm Rem.

Built my daughter a custom Mauser in 7X57 Mauser.
Essentially duplicates 7mm-08 ballistics.
She's taken 2 does thus far with the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.
Distances 70ish yards & 305 yards.

.270 Winchester

USAF, thats a real nice cartridge also, and theres a wealth of info here on it... Cant wait to hear what you will test...

I have hunted white tail deer and feral hogs in South Louisiana with a 7 X 57 Mauser for about 40 years . That 7 X 57 is my "Go To" when going hunting . Shots are not bean field
long so a 154 gr. Hornady RN always delivered . 160 gr. Nosler spire points were used on the few bean field hunts ... they work too .

All in all ... I believe the 7 X 57 has a lot going for it and a Ruger #1 in 7 X 57 would be my "Dream Come True" .

Congratulations on scoring a Home Run with the bases loaded !

Gary

Essentially duplicates 7mm-08 ballistics.

PITA point of order about terms. An older, previously existing item does not, and can not "duplicate" a newer item.

It is incorrect, and improper to say the 7mm Mauser "Essentially duplicates 7mm-08 ballistics.". (7mm Mauser - 1892, 7mm-08 - 1980)

Saying the reverse, that the 7mm-08 essentially duplicates 7mm Mauser ballistics, is correct, both in fact and in grammar.

Back