7x57 carbine

mwells72774

looks like a model 95, came to be as a barreled action with a bolt. no markings on where crest should be, only marks are a small 6pt star by recoil lug, "99" on the bottom of the barrel at the chamber, and a 4 digit SN; there also seems to be a VERY faint "R" on the top chamber area. Its a factory turned bolt thats #'s match the rec. Has a very strange angled crown, like a 45deg cone shape. From end of rec. barrel measures 21 1/4"

any ideas on what it is? value?

Attachments

• IMG_0175 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0175 (Medium).JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0176 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0176 (Medium).JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0177 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0177 (Medium).JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Model 95s have a round bolt face, model 93s are squared on the bottom. Model 95s have a little lug that comes up behind the base of the bolt handle, 93s do not.

So you have a Mauser 1893 pattern rifle. It looks like a Spanish Oviedo 1916 short rifle. If it had the factory crown on the barrel it would be a radiused crown, if the crown is different it has likely been reworked at some point in its life. The receiver has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts, the bent bolt handle was likely done at the same time.

In the FWIW category: Most of the Oviedo rifles I have seen over the past 40 years since I got involved with firearms have had a rough life with mediocre maintenance and hard use, although I have seen some that were very clean. Most shoot just OK, and are not suitable for hot rodding. Value is low, likely not much more than $75 for a barreled action if it is complete, less if parts are missing. I paid $50 for a complete action last year that had already been drilled/tapped and new trigger, safety, and bolt handle installed (which is more than $50 worth of parts and work). If the magazine box is missing, it is a parts gun, it would cost more to buy a magazine box than the rest is worth. May be a nice project gun, if you are so inclined.

The Spanish never bent the bolts, even their late 308 conversions kept the straight bolt. So if you're bent it's either modified or not original to the receiver.

All of the 1916 short rifles I have seen had bent bolts. The reworked rifles from before WW1 may have had straight bolt handles, but all I have seen on 1916 short rifles was bent bolts.

Back