7WSM deer load

stan5677

Looking for a deer load for a 7wsm build i'm putting together. With 7wsm speeds I know I would have to a heavier with a better constructed bullet. Would a 150g TTSX work? Any recommendations appreciated.

Even if you are shooting deer built like tanks, a 150 grain TTSX cannot fail. For all-around (coyotes to elk), I like 140-150 gr bullets in all of my 7mms.

Something heavy enough or strong enough for the 7wsm speeds that it won’t blow up.

As an example. 162 eldx at 3200 = no good inside of 300 yds. 175 eldx at 2975 much better (from experience)

160 accubonds likely better if you want the speed because they are tougher (assuming).

Go as heavy as you can or whatever gets you close to 3000fps is my 2 cents.

With a name like std7mag, you know i HAD to weigh in.

Essentially any bullet adequent in the 7mm Rem Mag will suffice in the 7WSM.

Personally, i dislike Barnes bullets though. Going mono i'd use Cutting Edge, or Hammer.

Otherwise bullets like Noslers 150gr Ballistic Tip, 150 or 175gr ABLR, any weight Partition.
168gr & up Berger.
150gr & up Sierra.

Looking for a deer load for a 7wsm build i'm putting together. With 7wsm speeds I know I would have to a heavier with a better constructed bullet. Would a 150g TTSX work? Any recommendations appreciated.
150 Nosler ballistic tip performs wonderfully. Never had one not exit.

150gr would be great with a tough bullet like the CX or TSX.

168 or bigger, if using something like the Interbond or other cup n core bullets just to slow it down a bit to prevent explosive performance under 100 yards.

Don’t pay extra for bc. It won’t really matter out to 500.

It looks to me that the optimal bullet weight for that caliber is 160 grains or so. Find some Nosler Partitions in that weight for hunting and something similar but less expensive to practice with.

Based upon components I can find I'm looking at the 160gr Accubond/partition, 150gr TTSX, 150gr Hornady CX, 150gr E-Tip, and 168gr VLD

150gr would be great with a tough bullet like the CX or TSX.

168 or bigger, if using something like the Interbond or other cup n core bullets just to slow it down a bit to prevent explosive performance under 100 yards.

Don’t pay extra for bc. It won’t really matter out to 500.
With the CX or TTSX how do they perform with just going for vitals and not trying to break them down at the shoulders

For shorter ranges, under 500 yards, your impact velocity will be high enough to expand them without losing much weight. That will make them fine on deer, better on elk.

At 500 yds, you should have 2100fps impact velocity. That is great for monos or cup n core.

At 50 yds, impact velocity is like 3000fps. Monos can handle this, but many cup n core are explosive over 2500 fps.

For shorter ranges, under 500 yards, your impact velocity will be high enough to expand them without losing much weight. That will make them fine on deer, better on elk.

At 500 yds, you should have 2100fps impact velocity. That is great for monos or cup n core.

At 50 yds, impact velocity is like 3000fps. Monos can handle this, but many cup n core are explosive over 2500 fps.
Any recommended powders from my research I read H4831sc is pretty good.

Based off the components I can find and keeping with manufacturer load data I'll develop the 150gr E-Tip, 145gr LRX, and 160gr Grand Slam with H4831sc powder and see what shoots best.

Last edited:
Based off the components I can find and keeping with manufacturer load data I'll develop the 150gr E-Tip, 145gr LRX, and 160gr Grand Slam with H4831sc powder and see what shoots best.
Shoot the similar .277"/150 gr. Grand Slams from the .270 Win. at ~ 2800 fps.

Great performer and very precise.

... But wouldn't push them any faster, unless I was sure the impact ranges would be long.

A good controlled expansion bullet, but still a cup-n-core.

Red

Shoot the similar .277"/150 gr. Grand Slams from the .270 Win. at ~ 2800 fps.

Great performer and very precise.

... But wouldn't push them any faster, unless I was sure the impact ranges would be long.

A good controlled expansion bullet, but still a cup-n-core.

Red
looking at the speer manual it won't get above 2890 at a max charge and cci 200 primers

looking at the speer manual it won't get above 2890 at a max charge and cci 200 primers
That would be a very versatile and inexpensive load.

But I'd also load a few and test out the terminal ballistics at 25 yards, too.

2850... even 2800... would still be a great load, especially if it hung together as a woods round.

W/ a BC of 0.389, it's about a 400 yard load at any of those muzzle velocities.

So, to me, it's a good practice to avoid the potential close range failure, at the expense of an extra 25 yds past 400.

There are long range bullet options if 400 doesn't do it for you...

Red

Back