7mm08 Accuracy?

rec

Inactive
I am considering a remington VLS in 7mm08 for long range target and varmit shooting. I expect that I will use it for 200-400 yrds max. Is the 7mm08 accurate at long range? If not what experience have you had with the 7mm08 accuracy? 100yds/200yds? Please give me your input since I can get a good deal on this rifle if I decide to buy. Thanks and Happy New Year. REC

I've occasionally considered getting a 7mm-08. Most of the posts here have been positive. You might have to do some tweaking with the bedding, and maybe get the trigger cleaned up, but that's all discussed in the Archives, from past posts.

For the more common weights, the 7mm bullets generally have higher ballistic coefficients, so they are somewhat flatter-shooting at a given velocity. At one time, 7mms were common in long-range matches. The lighter bullets would work quite nicely on varmints, but you'll do better if you're a handloader--more choices which you can tailor to your own needs.

FWIW, Art

The only 7mm08 I have is in a Rem Mod 7 SS.
Never have shot the little gun at 400 yds.
Earlier this week it proved to shoot 1/4 min.
running coyote at around 80 yds.
Best Regards,
HankL

The Wife's got an M7, 18.5" bbl that's been (stock) shortened to her size. I did a glass bed & trigger job (actually the best trigger in our whole "arsenal" - absolutely sweet & anybody can come by & feel it - the trigger that is) ... 140 Rem Core-Locks factories & she did a 4 shot ~.75" 100 yd group w/it. Has a 2X7 Luepold compact & is one of the sweetest li'l shooters & lightweight too boot. 120 Nosler ballistic tips @2600fps, shoot very nicely, thank you very much, as well.

.308 Win-based catridges (.243, 7-08, etc.)are all inherently accurate catridges.

7mm has great ballistic coefficients & sectional density - good caliber all 'round.

The velocities are not blazing by "today's standards" but can be compensated for by knowing the bullets/muzzle velocity you get & adjusting accordingly.

But too, anything you'll shoot to 400 yds will require a scope adjust (or hold-over, or ... ?) or long range zero. Even "the blazers" start to fall off a bit past 300yds if sighted in for the "more normal" "to 300 yds zeros.

As an example, a 7mm 120gr bullet at (even) 3000fps w/a +3" 100yd zero will (off the top of my head) print ~-6" at 300yds &(probably -remember - off the top) minus 12-18" at 400yds. Quite an adjustment - can be done, but it won't be the flattest shooter around, but none really are at that range.

You'd really have to range-find & compensate (& really know your muzzle velocities, etc.) to consistently dial in at the longer ranges - for all practicallities.

Get your 7 - you'll be glad. Understand the limitations, as with everything/anything else you'd buy.

rec,

My best shooting buddy has a 700 in 7mm-08. He sent it to an outfit in Texas and had the chamber moved forward just enough to rechamber with a "tight neck".

The only thing that outshoots it are the PPCs.

BUT ... if he had it to do over again, he says he would go with just a SAAMI minimum chamber. Too much trouble to trim necks down unless you're into extreme accuracy.

The 7-08 is plenty accurate, but the debate is still on about heavy bullets for long range stability vs fast (lighter) bullets to minimize muzzle to target time and therefore reduce intermediate ballistic environmental effects (wind, its always there).

Sensop

My remington 700 BDL stainless 7-08 is a good little carry rifle. I found that it (mine) does not really like much over about a 140 grn bullet. I have taken many deer (Texas sized)with 120 and 140 grn soft points at out to 220 yards with no problems. One shot, one dropped dear. Using seirra 100 grn soft points at 100 yds, I can usually shoot a magazine full into a dime sized hole. At 200 yds it opens up but I can still cover it with a quarter. Up to 139 grn bthp's this rule holds true, but if I switch to 168 bthp's, I open up to about 3 inch groups at 200 yds.

I love my 7-08. It is a great gun, easy to tote and accurate enough for me. Most importantly I have confidence that I can put the meat on the table with it.

pete

Back