7mm WSM Winchester 70 Shadow

slammedsi

Ive had this gun for some time and never even took it out of the box. I decided i would try it out this year on a pig or deer. What i wanted to know was how y'all like it. If there are any pro's and Con's to the 7mm wsm. Ive never shot one but i do have a standard 7mm mag. Also what kinda ammo would y'all use for said hunting?

The ballistics look pretty good on it, and I was looking at getting one a few weeks ago but got another 7 mag instead.

As far as ammo goes I recomend to everyone to shoot accubonds. Ive tried alot of different typs of bullets such as, siroccos, diff types of hornadys, ballistic tips, rem corelocks, and the accubond has been the hardiest hitting bullet I have found yet. The others perfored well but the accubonds have worked best for me on hogs and deer.

Thanks for the heads up on the Accubonds. Will pick up a box this week. I just got done installing a Cabela's Pine Ridge 6-18 Scope and Leopold mounts, rings and just about to boresite it.

In past years ive taken deer with a 300 weatherby mag. But i feel there is no need for that much of a gun, that and the recoil is starting to get to me i guess. last year i took my largest buck to date with a 257 weatherby mag, which is a drop in the bucket by the 300's standard. So i thought i would give this one a shot. last thing i want to do is not have enough gun..

Yeah, I have the exact same rifle with a Nikon Monarch 4.5-14X scope on it. I reload (a MUST if you intend to shoot a WSM very often) and I find that just about every combo of powder and bullets I have tried all perform very well. So far I have tried Hornady SST 130 gr bullets and Sierra spitzer 140 gr bullets. I have tried Varget and H-4350 powders in various amounts and I always find a combination that will shoot less than an inch at 100 yds. I think for killing power on elk, it's about as good as the 7 MM MAgs that I use. I have 2 of the 7 MM mags and they work well too. But the 270 WSM uses less powder and has less recoil to attain the same velocity for the 140 gr bullet when compared to my 7 mm Mag shooting the 140 gr bullet.

Thanks for the reply. The more i look at, and handle this gun i seem to like it more. I was hoping for an inch or less at 100 yards with factory ammo. but we will have to see what happends once i get it sited in.

Not a fan of the WinMarketingMags. Short actions, short throats, expensive ammo and cases. Won't do anything a old 2.5" Mag case will, especially with heavy for caliber bullets.

Back