7mm STW?

saudst

Is there any standard production 7mm Rem Mag. bolt rifles with an action long enough to accommodate the STW cartridge, and if so, will the STW fit in the magazine? In other words, can the Rem. Mag. simply be rechambered to the STW and your done? I think I saw one the other day. The " Mag. " part of the factory barrel stamp was marked out and STW was hand stamped next to it. It read, 7MM REM. XXXX STW on the barrel. I've never owned a 7mm mag. but thought the whole reason the Rem. mag. casing was 2.5" was to fit the standard long action like the 30/06. and I also thought the STW cartridge took a magnum length action. So I guess I'm getting ready to get schooled on those thoughts aren't I. Thank you for your time, Tim.

A Remington 700 will accept the 7mm STW, but it will need the longer magazine box and the proper cutout in the bottom of the receiver to accept it. If you want a 7mm STW, just buy one rather than try to jury rig one.

7mm STW

Hey Scorch, that's what I thought. Do you know of a supplier of a gun in this chambering? Savage, Remington and Winchester doesn't seem to offer one. Tim.

Remington used to offer the 700 in 7mm STW, but they switched to 7mm RUM about 15 or so years ago (proprietary cartridge, so no royalties). The RUM gets rid of the belt and the issues associated with the belt. But that is the action/mag box you need, the 3.7" mag box used for the 7mm RUM and 300 RUM. I just call Remington and order them or buy a donor rifle if I need one, they are not all that common. You can buy a mag box from Wyatt Outdoors and machine the bottom of the action if you already have a Remington 700 you want to use.

Remington and Winchester, and probably others, used to offer it.. I do not believe any manufacturer currently offers it in an "off the shelf" chambering. Re-barreling or doing a custom in it is simple enough, but if you want one on a production budget you might look around for a NOS one, or one that hasn't been shot out. Real throat-burner, there...

I have a 7 STW on a Rem 700 action. Magnum bolt face. All works just fine, no Wyatts needed. My 280 is the same, just a different bolt. Rem LA are all the same length, 3.7" both ADL and BDL.

Back