7mm RUM

Mikeeee

Inactive
I have a Remington 700 BDL LH in 7mm RUM. Ammo is getting more and more difficult to find so I am looking at making a change. I currently use this gun for deer hunting. Usually taking between 100yd and 400yd shots out in the short grass prairie of western OK.

As a leftie, finding a LH rifle is a monumental pain in the a$$ - ideally I'd like to hang on to this one. Is there a way to go about converting this rifle to a more available round, say a .300 RUM (or any other round recommendation, for that matter)? I'm a rookie in this category so please forgive my ignorance when it inevitably shows :confused:.

Thanks for your input!

Mike H.

SHR970 Thanks for the response. I guess that's my question - my knowledge base isn't wide enough to know what my options really are. Though as much as I'd like to learn, I don't shoot enough to justify buying the equipment to reload.

I figured .300 RUM would be easiest because the cartridge is identical and the existing action would work. But if it were possible to do 7MM Rem Mag, I would prefer that.

After rebarreling, would a 7mm RM feed with the bolt face and magnum action of the 7mm RUM? Seems like the magazine would need to be a bit shorter too?

Mike

I looked up the base dimensions of the Rums and 7RM both are .534. The Rums are based on the 404 Jeffery which is rebated rim cartridge.the mag length shouldn't be factor and will allow you to seat bullets out further, closer to the lands if desired. I have loaded 300WBY longer than mag length, but had to single load cartridges, was playing with 240gr VLD's.

If you reload you can neck down 300RUM to 7mm. The relaoding section of this site will offer you more advise on necking down this cartridge. I have been reloading centerfire magnums since 1976, but have never had to actually neck down brass, but have read in several reloading manuals that it is doable.

As has been stated, the rim diameter on the RUM cartridges and the "Magnum" cartridges are the same. As such the bolt will work with either. Due to the Brass diameter being a bit larger on the RUM cartridges, you may need the feed lips on your magazine adjusted for proper feeding. As far as length is concerned, the long action is already used for Magnum cartridges.

For the cost of a single stage press and basic set up to reload, you will probably be cheaper than a rebarrel job. Done properly, you will get quite a few firings out of your existing brass. If you amoritize the cost of the brass, the cost per round for the reloads is much less than factory fodder; at least that is how it breaks down for my 375 RUM. As you don't shoot a whole lot of them, you will find that reloading will be far less than the $3.00+ a pop you are currently paying for ammo. Components last quite a while too if stored correctly.

But if you want to fly and buy, choose a more mainstream caliber and rebarrel for it.

You make a good case for reloading. I'll have to do some reading and make the comparison when I get a quote. If wifey thinks I'm saving money I can get a whole new hobby :D.

Glad to know my options. Appreciate the help, fellas!

Think of it this way: "If I get into reloading, I would shoot a lot more". Makes for a happy camper and a sore shoulder.

Plus, you develop a better accuracy level. Reloading is fun, and it does not cost all that much to get started. Build up your tool chest as time allows.

I have been building my tool chest going on 54 years.

If you do decide to reload you'll be able to make ammo that you can't buy in any store. There is considerable satisfaction in using your own work to hunt and shoot with. You can brag when it works well and blame it on the learning curve when it doesn't.

It doesn't have to be expensive, you can sometimes find equipment at yard sales or want ads and pawnshops. RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Lee, And Lyman all make starter kits that will get you started. You will need someway to trim brass to length, and dies don't come with the kit. case holders don't come with the kit either. So save your brass. Always read the instructions that come with the reloading dies! The information in the reloading manuals are generic, and operation is not always intuitive. Always look for signs of high pressure. Good luck!

"...say a .300 RUM..." Isn't necessarily more available. Midway, for example, shows only Nosler brand ammo. Graf's also shows Hornady. All of it, from both places, at roughly $60 per 20.
Empty cases run the same kind of money. Not available from Remington at all. However, reloading means you'll never have a rifle you can't get ammo for. The manufacturers think nothing of discontinuing stuff with no regard for existing customers. And you'll be shooting ammo that is tailored for your rifle.
"...don't shoot enough to justify buying the equipment..." Doesn't have to be horrendously expensive. Lot of the stuff advertised and touted on assorted forums isn't necessary.
Bambi doesn't need any kind of magnum though.
"...finding a LH rifle is a monumental pain..." You can order whatever you want through your local gun shop. How long it takes will depend on whether or not his supplier has one in his warehouse. Always be prepared to pay up front too.

Sell the bolt, replace with one with a smaller .470 boltface from PTG and re-barrel.
Could even go the tried and true 30-.06 from there if you don't want to handload.

Not going to be cheap by any stretch- you'd probably be better off to look hard at finding new in a LH action (not necessarily Rem, look at Savage as well) and sell it if round count isn't high.

Last edited:
Back