7mm recoil

hoser

How is the 7mm recoil compared to a 300WM or 338? I shoot 30-06 all day, but not much experience with the magnums. This will be out of a Ruger #1.

How is the 7mm recoil . . . ?

If you're talking about a 7mm Rem Mag, it's just slightly more than a .30/06 . . . which isn't surprising, since the ballistics are practically the same.

7mm rem mag

Thanks HankB,
So if I currently have a 30-06, the 7mm Rem Mag will only shoot flatter for longer distance?

hoser, the 7MM will shoot flatter with a bullet of the same weight and same velocity as the 06...........reason being a better BC (if both are the same type ie. spitzer Round nose etc. It will have that better BC because of less frontal area due to less diameter. Now weather you can see the small difference is another story.

As far as recoil Hank has it right about the same as the 06. Maybe a tad more but not enough to talk about. I find that mine is about the same. My 06 is heavier than the 7mm but the 7mm has a factory recoil pad so one makes up for the other.

hoser,
I have a Ruger #1 in 7mm Rem mag, with scope it weighs more than my Rem 700 30:06. To me the felt recoil with 150's out of the 7mm is no worse than the 30:06 with 150's.
Several things affect felt recoil, total weight of rifle, weight of projectile and powder and naturally the velosity.

Hoser, the 7mm Rem Mag will shoot flatter than a .30/06 with bullets of the same weight as Southla1 said. On the other hand, the '06 makes a bigger hole. Realistically, the difference is slight.

You mentioned you shoot a .30/06 all day, so I assume you have one. If so, then it's hard to make a case for needing a 7mm, since there's so much overlap between the two cartridges. In the big game arena, neither cartridge will do anything the other won't. (Of course, you can get bullets up to 220 grains for the '06 . . . )

On the other hand, if you just want a 7mm, go for it. It will do whatever your '06 will, and that ain't bad. ;)

double vs single

Yeah, but my 30-06 is an O/U double rifle. Probably good idea to get a single barrel for more distance (hey, I found an excuse!).

Recoil probably depends which rifle you shoot and it's weight.

My 700 BDL in 7mm Mag can be punishing if you shoot it on 2 consecutive days. The second day is not so fun.

I think the trajectory is closer to the 300 Win mag than the .30 .06

Unless your past 300 yards...

Trajectory is about the same. Range estimation is the key to hits waaay outthere.

The 7 Mags I've fired had no big difference in recoil when the same rifle was a .30-06. My experiance is that from .270 through .300 Win Mag, killing power is about the same to 300y.

I grew up on 30-06 bolt action guns of one sort or another. We used to load really tame rounds for target practice and pretty stout 180 grain rounds for deer hunting. One time when I visited my dad, I used his 7mm mag to shoot ground hogs a couple of hundred yards away. I don't actually remember what the bullet weight was, but the recoil was fairly stout. The gun had a thumb hole through the stock making it easy to pull up to your shoulder. It wasn't a 300 H&H recoil, but my perceived recoil was more than what we normally shoot at deer with the 30-06. A good flat shooting round.

The 1st time I fired my 1st big-game centerfire rifle it left me with a $hit eating grin from ear to ear and the feeling that I had made one HELLuva good choice in a rifle!!! :D :p

I'd fired my friends' Ruger M77 .30-06 and it was an uncomfortable pounder.

My brand new (made in 1989) Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem.Mag. just FELT RIGHT. It was SO much nicer to shoot.
I LOVE the recoil of the rifle/cartridge combination. :)

Attachments

• busmaster007 remington 700 t -1a.jpg
    busmaster007 remington 700 t -1a.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 62
You know guys I just thought of something really important when it comes to felt recoil. I keep hearing guys talk about this rifle or that one in the same or close to same power levels kicking harder than it's cousine in a different brand.

Well a huge part of that is how your scope is mounted. If your scope is mounted too high your not going to have a good cheek weld and the the rifle will slap your face. Giving the impresion of violent recoil. A scope should be mounted as low as possible so as to prevent this. It also allows for faster target acquisition and helps you keep a steadier hold.

I'd say about 90% of the rifles I see now days have the scopes mounted too high. Always install the lowest possible mounts on your rifle.

My 375H&H (scoped) and my .458Lott (iron sighted) both cheek up low and hard to the face. Both of them are suprisingly mild to shoot, no face slap what so ever. Both of these rifles are very light weight for their caliber as well.

H&H, another factor is the angle between the comb of the stock and your cheek/jaw. If it's a proper fit, the comb slides away from your cheek/jaw. If it's angled wrong, it wedges into your cheek/jaw.

Look down at the stock from above to see this. The total width of the stock at the front of the comb should be less than the total width at the back. While this is the case for most stocks, I've seen some that are not. Yuck!

A side view should show the comb a bit lower at the front than at the rear, as well.

There's a lot more to a stock than a free-floated forearm or pretty wood...

:), Art

Back