7mm Mag

SJCbklyn

Can anyone suggest a heavy barrell 7mm mag for long range target work other than the 700 Long range or Sendero?
I’m trying to stay away from Remington and don’t have the cash for Custom.

Thanks for the help

I would be sure it would shoot as well as the xbolts of which I have 1 in 7-08 thats even my granddaughter shoots under 1" groups with..

What do you call long range?

In 2019 there are better options than 7mm Rem Mag for long range target shooting. For the guys that want to take elk at 1000 yards they shoot bullets with enough bullet weight for that. But for punching holes in paper there are several options that will still remain supersonic to a mile with 1/2 the recoil and cost of a 7mag.

If I wanted the most accuracy for the dollar I'd buy a Tikka CTR in 308, 6.5 CM or 260. The 308 will get you to 800-1000 yards, the 260 or 6.5 out to a mile. Street price is about $900 in blue, $1000 in SS.

https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-compact-tactical-rifle

The issue with that would be the condition of the used barrel. 7mag is hard on barrels, especially if pushed with max loads.

True...
Other optioon that i can think of is find a donor action, and build your own.
Several places make excellent target barrels.

I i were to build one, i'd be real tempted to use a Pac-Nor with the polygonal rifling.

If you are really planning on doing that, then your best bet is to go with a Savage or Remington action and put a bull barrel on it. While Remington does not come with the nut, there is a mod that puts it on it making it the same setup as Savage with replaceable barrel.

You can do the change yourself, tools about $100. U tube abound on it.

As you will shoot out barrels its also a much lower cost way to go.

Bergara is selling a Remington clone, well made and shoot very well.
Tikka is the go-to rifle for many shooters looking for light weight and accuracy.
Ruger is always a good bet.
Savage rifles typically shoot well.
Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard are known good shooters.

And Remington 700 is still one of the best shooters out there.

OP is asking for a heavy barrel. Unless those are a Heavy Varmint t (per Savage) or bull, they aren't a heavy barrel.

Someone already beat me to it. For under $1k you can find a beater savage slap on a criterion barell and put it in a nice stock. Have yet to see a criterion drop in that wont shoot sub many. I have 3 all shoot right around half moa with me behind the trigger probably better with someone more competent.

And a 7mm is going to eat up barrels.

So shooting one out on target shooting is a factor and the Savage offers an easy low cost way to get that done.

Remington does as well with initial need to get an OEM barrel off it. I am not fond of Remington for other reasons but that bias aside it would work with the REMAGE barrels.

A rifle that I have,that has been off the new market for some time is the Winchester M-70 Laredo. CRF,HS Precision bedding block stock.

The M-70 equivalent to the Sendero

EuroOptic has the Sako A7 Roughtech Range for about $1050 right now. 26” varmint profile barrel. A7 is a slight step up from the Tikka line, better trigger, 3 lug bolt etc.

Last edited:
Howa makes their M1500 barreled actions in all different configurations and sell them thru Brownells.

I have noticed available calibers from 204 Ruger up to 338 Win Mag.

I don't know if they have what you want, but generally they sell <$500.

That with a decent stock of your choice and you could have the rifle that you are looking for.

I share your feelings for Remington.

Back