7mm mag point blank sight in distance

hbhobby

I am fine tuning some hand loads for my 7 mm Rem Mag and finally have it shooting what I want about a 1/2 inch at 100 yards. what is the zero distance for a 6 inch point blank range of 100 - 300 yards? I have looked on the web and have seen everything from 175 yards to 250 yards and just don't know what distance to use.

Without knowing the bullets weight,velocity and ballistic coefficient it is impossible to say with any real accuracy.

If you just zero at 100 yards you can hit any large game animal with no hold over out to 300, just aim at the top of the back on anything beyond 200.

If you know those 3 things you can plug in the numbers here and play with different zero ranges and figure it out.

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

Round numbers, two inches high at 100 yards is probably around dead on at 225 to 250. Maybe three inches low at 300? I'd guess about 18" low at 400 yards. Fairly close for 139 to 160 grains.

I'm sighted in to 250 meters.
With Hornady 139gr, SPBT I'm 3" high at 100 meters, and 2.5" low at 300 meters.
With the 250 zero I'm about 13" low at 400 meters.

Round numbers, two inches high at 100 yards is probably around dead on at 225 to 250. Maybe three inches low at 300? I'd guess about 18" low at 400 yards. Fairly close for 139 to 160 grains.

That's about what mine shoots too.

I use iSnipe and iStrelok for my ballistics and reticle information. Great stuff if you have an ipad or iPhone. I really like the iStrelok and how it shows impact distances for your BDC (or MOA or whatever) lines or dots and does it for just about every reticle in existence (S&B, Nikon, Leupold, Premier, USMC, Army, Russian types, etc.). Amazing.

And I sight in my rifles to be on at 200 (about 1.5 inches high at 100). I am considering switching to one inch high at 100, since I will from time to time shoot a bit too high. But I tell myself that the diff is only half an inch at 100, so it's insignificant. So I'm still at 1.5 high at 100. No way I could be successful with a rifle sighted in at 3 inches high at 100.

603, thats the zero i used for many years on my Rem 700, 30-06. 3 inches high at 100 gave me deadhold capabilities at 300 yds, and I shot that more than a few times on unsuspecting whitetails and coyotes.;)

hooligan, I'm not saying that 3 inches high at 100 is a bad thing. It just would be a bad thing for me. From years of hunting with a 35 Remington, I tend to shoot high with the 260 and 270. It seems that I've trained myself to aim high, and I can't seem to untrain. So...even 1.5 inches high at 100 has caused me to miss on small critters, but that is where I want the POI, so I'm stubbornly sticking with it. Missed two small piglets recently, in two episodes of what you might call a 'busy' 15 seconds of lead slinging.

I know what you mean, I shot thirty whitetails with that rifle with that zero, and I never seemed to miss any that my crosshairs were on. I would hold center mass on ribs just behind shoulder mostly, and at any range up to 300 yds it put em down.
My Savage 110, .270 win is zeroed dead on at 100 yds with the Vortex Diamondback, Deadhold reticle. I've only shot deer up to 100 yds so far with that zero, and of course it hits right were crosshairs were held, except this years buck I shot in a 35 mph full value crosswind and the bullet moved just inches off my point of aim..
The 3 inch high at 100 yds is my preference for scoped rifles without bdc reticles because up to 300 yds it takes most of the elevation calculation out of it for me,.. and makes the center mass hold on a critter fast an easy to acquire.

Back