7mm Mag. How will it stack up ?

Scott Evans

Staff Alumnus
I recently became the owner of a Savage 110 bolt action rifle chambered for the 7mm Mag. I was not really looking for a new rifle, at least not this one, but this was a deal I could not refuse. I fired 20 rounds through it and was more than a little impressed. I had never fired a 7mm before and was surprised at the recoil. This baby has a little “hoist” to it if you know what I mean. It seemed a good bit more then the 30-06 I fired a week before. Second impression was “dead on “ accuracy. At 200 yds it was holding better then 1.5” groups from the prone position through a Bushnell 3x-9x Banner scope. I thought that I might sight it in, however, I was pleased to find out it was on the money.

Question is: who has experience with 7mm Mags and how do they stack up compared to the .308’s and 30-06’s ? Also, how good a rifle is this Savage 110?

[This message has been edited by Scott Evans (edited March 10, 1999).]

If you go to the charts, you'll see that the 7Maggie is a third or so greater in recoil than the '06.

It's a bit much for smaller, thin-skinned white-tails. 140-gr bullet for mulies, 160 or so for elk.

Its primary behavior, I guess, well, think of it as an '06 with another 100 yards or so of useful range.

If you need a long range gun, you can't beat it--particularly if you reload. Tame that sucker down a bit, if you don't need the power...

The Savage is a fine-enough rifle. Anything which shoots as good as you say is a keeper. About the only thing I might do is hone the trigger, unless you're already happy. Try some off-hand shooting and see...

Good luck! Art

Scott,

I have the rifle that you are talking about. As you start doing your own reloading, you can get your groups down to .67 inch. Also, I'm trying to dress up the stock by going off the article in April's RIFLESHOOTER. Still waiting for the outcome because I'm only half way through the process.

Forgot to mention that you will definetly want to lighten the trigger pull (its an easy do it yoursef job).
------------------

[This message has been edited by Alba (edited March 11, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Alba (edited March 11, 1999).]

Scott,

I love the 7mm. Chuck Yeager loves the 7mm. What more do you need to know?

SEriously, Although I am usually aginst the "fad" rounds of the day, This is one that the crowd hit right on the money. With the lighter bullets you can hunt Whitetail without destorying as much meat as you might witha typical '06 round. OTOH, you can load it up to take everything except for the largest most dangerous game. My wife and I are heading to AFrica this summer and the 7mm is what we will use for 75% of our game. (I will be trying out a Scout and we will be using a handgun on a few animals).

If you want to be "bought out" of that rifle, give me first option, I have been looking for another one, so my wife and I don't have to fight over the one in the current inventory.

My favorite round for eastern Whitetail is the 150 grn Ballistic Silver Tip.

-Rob

Rob-

My dad's got a Savage 110 7mm mag that he never uses. He hates it. He's talked about selling it quite a bit but he's never sold a gun in his life. He just can't part with them :). I'll mention it to him though.

Andy

Rob,
If your back by the time whitetail opens in NC I will be happy to make a loan. Just remember to send me a post card.

Thanks, I have similar offer from a friend here, but I apprecaite the thought.

I have contacted andy through Email, so I may end up with one of my own....

( who am I kidding.. I'll end up with one, it's just a matter of when... ;))

Rob,
I understand … :)

Any suggestions for off the shelf ammo for this rifle for one hunting NC whitetail? Also, for one month of the year deer season and bear season over lap. What would be a good double duty round? Last: Some spots where I hunt allow for a 300-400yd shot. Is there enough energy at that range for a responsible shot?

Yes, you'd be fine at that Range. I'd recommend the 150 grn. Winchester Ballistic Silver tip for pure Whitetail duty. Between my wife and I we took 4 deer with those rounds in 7mm last year and 2 with the same bullet in .308.

For the bear I would move up to the Winchester Failsafe in 160 grns. You could also consider the Partition Gold (160 grn), but that is really going to be overkill for whitetail. lots of penetration, but you won't get as much expansion.

Back