7mm converted to 7mm

Bake

I have a nice Remington XP-100, chambered in 7mmBR. Along with the XP, the reloading information and components have become harder to find.

There is not a lot of "Chicken-Shooting" going on around here, so there isn't much of a resale market for a used XP that's going to be hard to feed.

I was wondering if it would be possible to rechamber to 7mm-08Win., or something more available. I've seen a couple of conversions that looked like they forgot to cut a thread or two off the barrel, or maybe should have gone to 7mm-08 Improved [Larger shoulders, straighter body].

Does anybody have any ideas?

Last edited:
I built a 7BR for my son's first deer rifle about 4-5 years ago, he loves it. BR brass is still available, the 6mm BR Norma has the same dimensions except for a longer neck. But I can see the appeal of having something with more pizzazz and power. So yes, you can convert your XP to a more powerful cartridge, but there are several caveats:
* the front action screw on the XP action has a recessed screw hole, so you only have a few threads holding the action into the stock. Anything with any serious recoil will strip it out in just a few shots. Had this situation last year with a long range XP shooter.

* The rear screw goes through the top of the action into the stock, so any serious torque or recoil can pull that right out of the stock

* The XP barrel is short, With the BR case that's not an issue because you can choose faster powder, With a larger case you would gain a little velocity but burn most of the powder outside of the barrel. Yes, you could rebarrel but you still have the first issue above, you will ruin the threads with recoil.

Short answer? Yes, it can be done. Maybe rebarrel to a different cartridge like a 7mm IHMSA or 250 Savage? I was laways kinda disappointed the BR never really caught on. And some XPs are being converted to rifles because there isn't a lot of silhouette shooting going on any more.

You do know, Peterson Cartridge make cases for 7BR, right? !

But to answer your question, yes, you should be able to rechamber to 7mm-08.

No, it cannot be done as a simple rechambering. IHMSA shooters discovered this 40 years ago, the 7-08 reamer doesn’t clean up most 7BR chambers - a groove is left where the 7BR shoulder was. That’s why the 7mm International cartridge was developed, based on the .300 Savage case with less taper it cleans up the BR chamber. You can use a 7-08 reamer if you set the barrel back a couple threads, but then it’s not a simple job. A .284 conversion might be possible, but then brass is still an issue.

Or you can live with 7-08 cases having a circumferential ridge in them and hope they extract okay.

Original condition XP-100's bring big money from collectors on gunbroker, please don't molest it, sell it and buy one that's already been altered if you want a different cartridge or better yet get a contender.

If your XP is original and in good condition it could bring 800.00 to 1100.00
Here's a nice Contender ready to go for 725.00
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876235030

Last edited:
Back