7mm-08 vs. 308

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiewita40

Just looking for some opinions on these two calibers. I moved to the western slope of Colorado this year and am looking at elk hunting next year.

I have already decided on a River American rifle as my choice. Since my old deer rifle i.e.sks just isn't up to the task. I know a 30-06 would give me more options as far as bullet weights go. But I don't like the recoil. I am a lot more comfortable with a 308 as far as recoil is concerned.

Between the two calibers I mentioned what is you all's recommendations.

If your shooting factory loads exclusively then go .308. If you are going to hand load ammo then I'd choose 7-08.

For a handloader the 7-08 does everything the .308 does and it does it better. The .308 guys are gonna come and say differently but look at the #'s and there is no argument.

Look at the light 120/125 grain bullets. The look at the 150/165 grain bullets and the 7mm bullets have better bc and equal or better speed. That means better down range trajectory and better energy. Also the 7mm bullets are longer so they have better sectional density.

Last edited:
They are ballistic twins. The 7-08 will have about 1 ft lb less recoil. At 500 yards with similar loads the 7-08 drops about 2" less and has about 50 ft lbs more energy. Not enough difference to argue about. With good loads either is a 400 yard elk gun and if the shooter is good enough capable on deer size game even farther.

You will find more factory 308 options for ammo and prices are generally better. I chose 308 since I already loaded for 30-06. Staying with 30 caliber just made things easier.

Thank you for your replies. Since I will be shooting factory loads and have limited time at home. I will be going with the 308.

I own three 308s and I have built a lot of 7-08s for customers.
To be 100% honest, I believe the 7-08 is a better cartridge overall.

Not that I dislike the 308 at all. I don't. At all!

But for hunting and targets both, I have seen the 7-08 side by side with the 308s and I can't really see any thing the 308 does better, but I do see a slight advantage with the 7-08 with bullets from 140 to 175 grains.
The 7-08 can use up to 175 grains and the 308 can use 200 grain bullets so if the rifle was to be used at "75 yards and under for moose" the 308 may have a slight edge, but I can't say for sure. And if it does I am convinced that edge with be very sight. Probably in my mind more than in meat.

But for everything else from prairie dogs to elk I think the better B.Cs. and S.Ds. of the 28 cal bullet give a slight edge in their flights over the 30s.

Sorry to do this, but if you're hunting elk buy a 30-06. Shoots as flat as a 7mm 08, hits harder than both the 308 and 7mm-08, recoils is just marginally more, ammo is everywhere.

Either or as you are really splitting hairs. That would apply with the 30-06 as well. They each have their own small advantages and disadvantage between each other.

For elk, I like a bigger cartridge than the mentioned ones. All of them can take elk cleanly, just at a shorter distances and at more ideal angles.

When I was younger and lived up North and hunted Elk I went from 30-06 to 375H&H. I always felt that didn't kick as much as it gave you a big push and it flopped an Elk if you did not get a good hit.

Have and shoot both. I agree if you plan to hand load I like the 7mm-08 a little better only because I find it to be a flatter shooting cartridge in general than the .308 Winchester it actually spawned from. Beyond the slightly flatter trajectory you can really flip a coin. For hunting deer sized game I see no difference, for target I like the 7mm-08 slightly better.

Getting older here at 66 and haven't shot the 7mm Rem Mag in a few years and even my 30-06 guns don't see as much range time as they once did but the .308 Winchester or 7mm-08 Remington I can still comfortably and enjoyably shoot all day long.

Ron

Winchester, and others who may be wondering what the 'Two Dot' test is, it's actually a question, 'Is this cartridge available in Two Dot Montana?' I have read though have not verified that only the most common/popular cartridges can be purchased in Two Dot. Hopefully some members from Montana can respond.

I've had some elk hunting success with a .300 Win Mag (two 5 x 5 bulls.) Guides and outfitters have told me they have more confidence in hunters carrying a .270. I believe a 7mm-08, .308, .270, .280 or .30-06 will all be fine with the proper bullets. I think I would have been happy taking my light weight .270.

Thanks to everyone that has replied. I will be going with the 308. And the reasons are fairly simple.
1. 308 can pretty much be found everywhere.
2. Being a truck driver with limited home time I can't say I have time to hand load.
3. 308 ammo is approximately 1/3 cheaper than 7mm-08.

"...They are ballistic twins..." So are the .30-06 and .308. Recoil is virtually identical out of like rifles too. Operative word being 'like'.
The 7mm has slightly less recoil than the .308 out of like weight rifles, but an exact comparison needs the same bullet weight. However, a 139/140 grain bullet, sighted in 2.6" high at 100 drops 3.2" at 300. 14.7" at 400.
A 150 out of a .308 sighted in 1.8" high at 100, drops 5.5" at 300. 18.1" at 400.
"...Two Dot, Montana..." Isn't what we call it, but yeah. Has to do with a buffalo's back end. Test is The Wally World Test. If it's in the local Wally World, it'll very likely be in the Two Dot, Montana Wally World too. And there actually is such a place as Two Dot, Montana. No Wally World though. snicker.

I use Winchester and Remington 150 grain pointed bullets in my bolt action lightweight.
Have dropped several deer in their tracks and is pleasant at the bench/range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back