7mm-08 vs .260 Rem

TXAGDave

Inactive
I am considering getting a Remington Model 7 SS. I am trying to decide on either the .260 or 7-08. I'm looking for some input (especially from anybody who has shot both). I'm wondering if the recoil from a 7-08 would be substantial in such a light rifle. It primary purpose will be deer and varmints nothing over 200 yds). I know the 7-08 has an extremely wide selection of bullet styles and weights. Do any other manufacturer's (besides Rem.) plan to make cartridges or chamber rifles for the .260? How does .260 recoil compare to .243? Any of ya'll taken deer with the .260? Thanks for any help.
Dave

I've been looking at the 6.5-08 too, since the range of bullets available would take care of anything from long-range shots at prairie dogs to big western Kansas mulie bucks. I've been reluctant to re-barrel my M70 243 to 6.5, because every time I've been without a 243 for any length of time, I've had to buy another one. I've not shot either the 7mm-08 or 6.5, but would find it difficult to believe that there would be much difference in recoil, since the hunting bullets for each are in the same weight range(120-140grs.). The 6.5 calibers have all had good reputations for penetration, and with high BC match grade bullets, the 6.5-08 has won lots of HighPower matches, shooting out to 1000yds. I'd like to have a good rifle built on a M70 action with medium weight barrel in 6.5-08, just to see what it'd do and to compare it to my 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser.

I am posting here because I would like to keep this thread alive since I too am interested in reading about comparisons between these two cartridges. I have been thinking about obtaining a rifle in one or the other, so more information would definitely be appreciated.

------------------
It only takes one bullet to change your life.

I think both of these calibers will be adequate with the tasks you are looking for. Although I haven't hunted with either, the 7mm-08 is a TACK Driver! A 7mm bullet probably should have been our Machine Gun cartridge rather than a 7.62mm (.308. Also a buddy uses a 7mm Mauser (which is ballistically pretty much the same as a 7mm-08 and it drops deer dead just as quick as any .270, .30-06, .243, .308 etc that I've seen.

Back