7mm-08 Opinions

Contender

Just came across a used Model 700 Mountain Rifle in excellent cond. chambered for 7mm-08 with 22" bbl. Anybody have experience with this cartridge/rifle combo or just the cartridge for hunting deer sized game and maybe a little chucking on the side? I hunt in mostly wooded areas here in the east with some good open field shots.

Much Thanks

My PET LOAD for VARMINT'S ; 42.0 GR IMR 3031 , 110 GR "TNT" SPEER , REM 9 1/2 PRIMER IN REM CASES.....DEER load is 39.5 GR VARGET ,150 GR SIERRA , REM CASES & REM 9 1/2 PRIMERS......SHOOT GOOD FOR ME......

Haven't owned one, but it's on the want list for me. From what I've read, it's right between the .243 and the .30-'06, which is a pretty damned good place to be.

If you change your mind...

Art

got a 700 and an Abolt. I like 7mm in all its forms. Great all around cart. It has almost replaced my favorite cal. 7mmMauser. The 7x08 out performs the Mauser by a tad. A great little gun to carry all day in the woods.

------------------
Vinny

i have a model 7 ss wont trade or sell it... the only problem is not much in the way of factory ammo got to reload if you want any variety the factory stuff is great on deer

One word of caution. My 700 would shoot any reload i stuck in it. My Browning ABolt was an off and on thing. I lent it to a friend and he came back telling me what a tack driver it was. He had found that if was very sensitive about case length. He trimmed up my odd asst of brass and every thing was peachy.

------------------
Vinny

I've got a Remington 788 in 7mm-.08 with a shortened barrel. Nice gun & round. Faster than a .308 but bigger than a .243. All 3 rounds use the same case. Great round for deer.

Andy

Back