7mm 08 factory loads..

Inhimwelive

Picking up a 7mm 08/ tomorrow..I'm going to try Federal fusion 140's for deer.. If you have experience with these please share... My main question is what is available in factory loads for varmints? I can only find 120's but would like something more like 100 grain...
Thanks

Tobnpr's right. The 7mm-08 is a very popular deer round but not big with varmint people. A 100gr round in it would be very short and have the BC of a brick.

Good luck shooting 100grn bullets in the rifle, like said above they'll probably have the BC of a brick and shoot like a shotgun. Shoot 120's and 140's if you are trying factory ammo. Let the gun tell you what it likes, a 100 or 120 that prints all over the place doesn't do you much good. 120grn factory loads aren't all that easy to find, you'll probably have to order them at that.

I don't know whether they work well or not..I don't handload..Its just odd to me that I've read so many threads about people hand loading 100gr bullets for varmunts if they fly like bricks... Sierra has reloading data for their 100 grain bullets out of 7mm 08

Last edited:
the hornady 100gr 7mm08 brick has a bc-.279 sd-.177 and can be loaded to 3300fps, zeroed at 200yds its drop is -6.4 300yds and carries 2300fps and 1177fpe. and it carries as well as most .224 bullets at 3300fps to 300yds and has about twice the fpe at 300yds. eastbank.

I have loaded 100 thru 170 gr bullets for my 7-08s, I have found that for my rifles the 140's and 150's shoot the best groups. The 100's did ok at 100 yd about 1.5" groups but at 200 they opened up to 3 to 4" groups. Just my experience. What I did rather than keep trying to make 100's work for varmints. Just went out and bought a 243. Problem solved.
Also, around here in NH I have never seen other than 140gr factory ammo for the 7-08.

Currently im not loading for my 7mm08. Therefore, im stuck shooting factory stuff. Ive found the most accurate factory ammo to be the hornady american whitetail 139 grain load for deer and the remington 120 grain hallow points for smaller stuff. I found the 140 grain core lokt remingtons to blow rather large holes in deer :eek:. However those 120 grainers are devastating on smaller animals. Expensive....but explosive. The hornady ammo is quite reasonable price wise, only a dollar more than say .243 or .270.

Last edited:
Upstate81 have you tried the federal fusions? Wondering how they compare to the whitetails? Those are the two brands readily available to me..

Yes ive shot exactly1 box of federal fusion 120 grain. Shot just as well maybe just a fraction more consistent than the hornady ammo. However, for deer hunting i liked the heavier bullet, the federal is 30.99 a box and the hornady is 23.00. Considering im shooting under an inch out of my venture compact with a bipod and rear bag. Ill take the cheaper ammo all day. I am interested in getting my hands on some of that PPU ammo for practice until i get up and loading again. Its a 140 grain round, like 16 bucks a box. Plus the PPU brass is good quality for reloads.

my deer load is 120gr nosler BT,s with 43grs varget and is a sure deer killer out to 300yds thats as far as i,ve shot one with rem 7mm08. double lung shots are the way to go, i have shot quite a few since i got the 7mm08 and have not lost one. eastbank.

100, 90 and 85 grain hollow point bullets in 28, 27 and 26 caliber cartridges respectively, shoot like a shotgun and have the BC of a brick.. Nice to see another remark based on that quote from the book of firearm myths.

Sierra's bullets of that ilk shoot under 1/2 to 2/3 MOA at two hundred yards. If you and yours doesn't do that with them, the bullets are not the problem. Few commercial rifles do that well with any bullet hand held by humans.

A 7mm 100 grain bullet had a BC of about .180. A brick's BC is less than .1. Most 22 caliber 50 grain bullet BC's are in the .140's.

Last edited:
I've shot about every weight bullet out of my 7mm08's made. Funny how the lighter bullets in both my 700 and 75 tend to have large groups in the 1.5-2.5" range but the 150's I load have a .5 MOA. Sure some guns may shoot them just fine, mine sure don't.

the federal is 30.99 a box and the hornady is 23.00. Considering im shooting under an inch out of my venture compact with a bipod and rear bag. Ill take the cheaper ammo all day. I am interested in getting my hands on some of that PPU ammo for practice until i get up and loading again. Its a 140 grain round, like 16 bucks a box. Plus the PPU brass is good quality for reloads.

The Am whitetail is not the most accurate Ive used but I will dang sure use it for the price.
PPU can be found online really easy, or at Academy reboxed under the Monarch brand.
Online I average $14 a box for the PPU and $16 for the Am whitetail. The Am whitetails were on sale online recently for $13 a box and I stocked up well.

I use the PPU on hogs/coyotes and it works well.. havent tried it on a deer yet to see how it does. Its POI is very close to the POA when Im sighted in with the Am whitetail.. Shifts maybe a inch or so to the left and about 3/4 up.

The fusions around here locally run about $12 more a box than the Am whitetail. Dont think you can go wrong with them for deer.

Unfortunately i live in new york and can no longer buy ammo online with out going to an ffl and paying a transfer fee. :mad::mad:

Back