7mm-08 140 barnes TTSX load info

I have a great load made up with Sierra game kings and ball 760, but I am almost out of both game kings and ball760. I live in bush Alaska so getting powder is a costly challenge in itself, let alone finding it when I fly into town. So I want to try to also find a load with barnes 140 ttsx because I have them on hand, and I have 2 pound of H4350 on hand.

Anyone have a load they use with H4350 and barnes 140 ttsx

Last edited:
CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

Welcome to the forum.

The reason you aren't finding H4350 listed is it is too bulky for use with that long bullet seated to Barne's recommended 2.735" COL. Based on the fact Hodgdon gives IMR4064 and H4350 loads for conventional 140-grain bullets, I used the ratio of the starting charges to estimate a starting pressure would probably be at about 44 grains of H4350, but QuickLOAD says that 41 grains will take up all the room under the bullet, so you would be in for some pretty compressed loads just to get up to a starting load level.

In other words, H4350 has a combination of slow burn rate and bulk that isn't really appropriate for this cartridge with that particular bullet.

That is exactly what I was thinking when I played around a bit, case looked way too full, thank you so much for verifying my thoughts.

I am fairly new to reloading so I will most likely have many questions in the future.

Thank you for your quick response.

What are you hunting?
How often do you get into town?
Is there a shop that carries reloading supplies or do you have to order and wait?

It's an interesting problem. Bullets and powder have been hard to get, but its getting a little better. Being in the bush you would almost have to order them and have it held for you in town till you could pick it up...

Barnes load data site has several powders that it recommends. Big Game, Varget, RL-15, and RL-17 among them.

I have not used that bullet nor have I used the 4350, but I have used several other 140s in the 7/08 and I am a big fan of Varget for 120 to 140 grain bullets. I have used Barnes 150 grain with H414 with success. I know that doesn't answer your question, but if you can find Varget I would give it a try.

Back