7inch AR-15

mrnkc130

I recently purchased a 7inch pistol at a gun show with the intention of making it an SBR (currently mulling thru the paperwork). Its a rock river a4 upper with a DPMS lower. everything stock and new except low pro gas block and CAR length quad rail. After i purchased it i ofcourse went looking thru the internet for ideas about what i wanted to do with it. I have noticed a lot of people complaining about any AR with less than 10.5 inch barrel not being reliable and prone to problems. does anyone have such a set up and had problems with it? anything i can do? also what can i hope for accuracy wise? I am anxious to start the break in on it but would appreciate any input on what i have gotten myself into with such a short barrel.

also on the form 1. I dont live in city limits...should i get county sheriff office to sign off? or will closest city (same as address on DL) be good?

thanks for the help!

I have seen several 7” setups that run but they are pretty hard on suppressors. 10.5” is about as short as you want to go if you plan on adding a can.

7" seems a little short for an 5.56 (.223) SBR. I would stick with 10"-14.5". Of course my 10" set up is a 9mm so there's no gas block, tube or key. I have 2 set ups for the 9mm, a 5" TROS 3lug suppressed(this runs flawlessly). Then I have a 10" Spikes barrel and I have a few cycle problems before the rifle warms up.
Then I have a registered RR pistol lower in 5.56(.223) w/ a POF gas piston 11.5" upper that has never given me one problem and it will eat anything I feed it. I'm waiting on my BATFE approval to SBR.

Back