777 Ruger Old Army Loads

Hulbert

Am I right in thinking that the loading data from Hodgon for 777 is black powder volume ? So when it says for a Ruger Old Army to use 35gr what it really means to use the volume of 777 that 35gr of blackpowder would take - so the real weight is going to be something like 26gr as 777 and blackpowder have different densities.

I've seen some loads posted on this forum but its not always clear whether people were referring to volume or the real weight (I think theres a bit of a mix).

sundance44s

Always load the subs by Volume never weight .. if you were useing 35 gr of real black use 35 gr of 777 APP PYRODEX or any other sub .... just use your gr measure .. it`ll be pretty close that way ..no exact science but never the less close enough to keep you out of serious problems .

Beware of 777 Volume To Volume Comparisons

Just a warning that technically, 777 is supposed to be reduced by approximately 15% in volume to volume conversions with any of the other ffg black powders and substitutes. It's supposed to produce higher pressure.

If someone is comparing any ffg powder (except 777) to Pyrodex fffg, then the Pyrodex fffg (pistol) is supposed to be reduced by approximately 10%.

This doesn't necessarily pertain to the pellets which are supposed to be weaker. (I recall something about 150 grains of Pellets equaling 120grains of loose powder, as far as in the maximum manufacturer's recommendations for use in some of their inline rifles. Since I don't own one of these models, I can't personally verify this information, but it appears to be a 20% difference if true.)

If someone is using 777 fffg, then the load may even need to be reduced by up to 20% to be truely equivalent to other ffg powders.
I can't state this as fact but it's better to be safe and aware of the potential difference regarding 777 fffg velocities.

I understand that the Ruger OA is probably more than strong enough to handle any mistakes in powder conversions, but this is also an issue of velocity and conversion awareness.

http://www.hodgdon.com/tripleseven/loadnote.php

Last edited:
Back