772 Pound Bear

and to think I was getting praise for my 250LB black bear... western blackbear and eastern black bear are just two very different animals.

WoW!! What a bruiser. I seen blacks weighing in the high 4s close to 5. when I was a kid and thought they were huge. But nothing like this monster. How would you like to see this thing licking your bird feeder some morning?:D
I wonder how old this big feller is?

I'm going to re-think about my back packing gun caliber,
Maine and Vermont: 600 pounders
and New Hampshire 500 pounder.

I guess one can run into a "big" bear
anywhere on the East coast.

I'm going to re-think about my back packing gun caliber,

Typical black bear anywhere run 200-300 lbs. A 500+ black bear is a rare sight anywhere, but not unheard of. The 800 lb bear killed in NC a few years ago had been supplementing its food by living on a hog farm and getting into some of the hog feed IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised to find that this 772 lb bear had some help with feeding.

A bear doesn't live long enough to get much over 200 lbs by hanging around humans. Virtually all problem bears are 150-200 lb cubs that have recently been ran off by their mothers and are struggling to make it on their own. The big boys are very good at not being seen by humans and rarely bother them.

The 300-500 lb bears aren't as uncommon as one thinks
in New England.
Also we have game preserves ("You got the money-We got
the animal") up here and they get sloppy with their containment methods.
So who knows what one will meet in the woods.
I'm thinking of carrying a .357 instead of my .22.
I certainly agree with you,meeting up with
a "nasty" in the woods is very rare but it only
takes one time.
Gonna get an SP101 or something similar.

ron

I found myself in between a cub and what im assuming was a bear killed fawn a week ago on state land. It's pretty sobering to hear that it's nearby mother could have been as big as 772 pounds. Good thing I took the single shot :o

WOW, what a beautiful animal and a sweet trophy. It pays off to take time to smell the roses and walk the land.

That is a HUGE bear. I have one on my game cam that appear to be 250 to 300....it's truly a very large animal but is dwarfed by that monster. NH does have it's share of large bears, but during kill season the common weight is just under 200. That bear must be old, and is surely eating some high protein off someone's feeder! Giaquir, I'm also in Deerfield. I bow hunt the same property I have pics of a very large bear and don't carry a side arm. They run off before messing with ya. :p

Good lord, I hope he was near a path. There is NO WAY I'd want to try dragging that thing anywhere. Even quartered up it would be a haul.

Brotherbadger, I never even gave thought to how he transported it. You are right. That is a lot of weight to have to haul in the woods!

Water-man, that is correct. It was in Longwood on Monday. The woman was badly mauled. I believe they tried to trap the bear but have not been successful yet.

Last I heard they had gotten the bear. She should have let the dogs go so the bear would go after them .

Every single year, half dozen or so bears weighing over 500 lbs are taken in Pennsylvania. In many cases, they're problem bears which have been trapped and relocated because of heavy appetite for apples, honey, or too close to settlements. These bears eat a lot of food to grow this large.

Biggest bear I've seen while deer hunting in Perry County weighed approx. 250 lbs or so and it looked big and scary to me. Yet these animals are not armor-plated and are routinely taken with common deer cartridges such as 30-30, 35 Remington, 300 Savage, etc.

Jack

950 to 1000 Pounds!! Wow, better have a fork lift to transport it. That has to be frightening to see if it's coming at you.

Back