77/22 Light Strikes (not Lucky Strikes)

Flashman

I have an 10 y/o 77/22 I bought new. It has always seemed to have an occasional problem of failing to ignite a shell. However, last week I started shooting again and discovered 50 % or more failure to fires. If I manipulated the bolt vigorously the percentage dropped but still 2 or 3 per a magazine. I tried two different brands of ammo with similar results. I took apart the bolt and cleaned it for the first time. The first 10 rounds shot fine, then it reverted back to light strikes. Any thoughts? Send it back to Ruger? Do you think I can get buy sending the bolt only?

Flashman, there are a lot of brands of ammo that contain duds in new boxes. The only brand I trust for test purposes is CCI and Remington High Velocity. If you are having the problem with these two then you should send the rifle back. You would need to send the complete rifle. This could be a symptom of several maladies. Simply replacing a spring may not do it. George

You might try cleaning the entire firing mechanism, not just the bolt. If the firearm has been setting for 10 years I'd bet it is just a little more than gummed up inside.

------------------
NRA MEMBER? GREAT, NOW JOIN GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA

I did clean the entire mechanism; however, I reluctantly returned it last Thursday. I hate shipping firearms, particularly one I am so attached to with such beautiful wood.

Thanks.

I used to have a similar problem with an old .22 cal Daisy I used to own. I used to fire 10 thousand rounds a day on it at the range for several days a month for almost a year. .22 is cheap you know.

Anyway, it started to misfire. I found out that misfiring occurred because there had been a buildup of residue which I did not clean. When I finally scraped out the residue; the action had been moved back so far and had obviously worn itself out that not only was it not firing; but, jamming.

Your gun like mine is an excellent candidate for turning old unsafe firearms into the police. Get a receipt that you turned your old unsafe gun into the police. Do not walk up with your gun into the police station. First (without your rifle) go to the front desk sergeant and let him/her know that you would like to turn in a gun for destruction because it is unsafe. Only after getting permission and repeating again that you are submitting it for destruction and that you are bringing it in should you bring it in. Bring it in inside a box or wrapped inside a garbage bag so it does not appear to be a threat.

I suggest you keep the trigger or firing pin mechanism for safe keeping and throw it away a couple of years later just so your gun does not end up being used again.

This is a $500 rifle! And only has 2500 rounds through it. Still looks new.

I've already returned it to Ruger. They will fix it as they usually do without hassle. I just didn't want to send the whole rifle if I could avoid it. I've already lost one to UPS.

[This message has been edited by Flashman (edited April 25, 2000).]

Back