76 Shots, 9 Hits, Police Probie Fired, Trainer Disciplined

Interesting police shooting. The call came in about a guy on drugs, armed with a knife and a gun. This is the released police pursuit.

Full Video Here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blBjSoexoDw&feature=youtu.be

The probie was driving. His training officer was the passenger.

Story Here...
https://ktla.com/2019/05/08/anaheim...ursuit-killing-suspect-warning-graphic-video/

I understand the need to fire through windshields at times. However, knowing that bullets coming through windsheilds may deflect by a couple of inches or more over the very short distance between the windshield and a subject inside the car, you have to wonder by how many feet the bullets had deflected when fired from inside.

In this video, the shooter is shooting at a target directly in front of his vehicle and the bullet impacts some 4" high. So if that is what was going on with Pederson's shots 1-4 car lengths of distance, his shots are going to be 1-3 feet off from where he is aiming...on a moving target while he is driving.

See 3:40 in video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5locEWj1rMU

So no criminal charges, but the officer's actions were not seen as being safe for the community.

I wonder how many innocent bystanders they shot? Not that it matters since the cops have qualified immunity.

Assuming the video is legit, it appears this is *Gross Disregard* for public safety by the driving officer.

Someone needs to have their weapon privileges revoked.

Why do we practice more using our whatever more than LEO's?
I think that LEOs should be better trained & can shoot more professionally.
No knock on LEO's but this is embarrassing and more dangerous.

Pretty hard to justify clearly saying something like: "He's done." and then firing another three rounds immediately after. By the way, those three shots likely means that only 6 hits were scored up until that point.

If anyone doubts what it's like shooting a rifle inside an enclosed area, skip to 2:01 in the video where the officer in the passenger seat fires the rifle and listen to the response from the other officer. He basically groans aloud and curses after the rifle discharges.

That officer kept telling people after it was all over that they both couldn't hear.

That LEO had no business going all Hollywood and start shooting from inside the vehicle while in pursuit. The badge and the uniform should automatically hold the individual to a higher standard. It's the job dirty and dangerous and if you can't handle it, pursue a different career. That is nothing more than fear taking over where an innocent bystander could have been killed. Would you say it was justified if it was your baby, your child, your loved one.

Last edited:
When I was a teenager we used to say, "You can't outrun a Motorola" (police radio). All of a sudden it seems to have morphed into, "You can't outrun a bullet."

...wow

I’m pretty sure if I did that exact thing in my agency I would be charged and under a bond. Note difference between the obviously legit Las Vegas shooting. The officer was shot at numerous times during the pursuit, and he was pursuing murder suspects. After taking fire for several minutes, the officer finally gets much closer and ends it. The officer ended the pursuit 25 seconds after he shot through the windshield the first time with suspects incapacitated. That’s a testament to the effect of his fire, considering the circumstance. That was obviously a good shoot.

The other 2 yahoos thought they had a gun pointed at them by a guy driving a truck running away from them (a threat, yeah, but not the same as if the guy had shot at them). They were shooting at a guy basically involved in a family dispute with his brother. That pursuit lasted about two full minutes after the first shots. Numerous turns and other traffic on the road... not good at all.

Law enforcement is very diverse and different, depending on your region. I’m pretty sure I would be charged if I were these yahoos.

Hmmmm....
Holding police to a higher standard...
Novel idea...
Like the law with no hand held device while driving. But every cop you see in the car has a cell phone to his ear.
Wanna talk about speeding? Stop signs? And other traffic infractions?
How about the reports from the armorers at qualification where the officers carry revolver couldn't fire, much less the cylinder move?

With the restricted budgets, court time, paperwork, etc, it's no wonder cops don't get to the range like they should. Would definitly help the 1:6 rounds on target record.

Seems it would occur to the driver that if shooting from a moving vehicle was justified in that situation, then the passenger would have been the logical shooter, not the guy holding a pistil while driving.

At any rate, even if the shooting while moving may have been warranted, to me it seems unjustified to summarily shoot him to death after he stopped.

Seems it would occur to the driver that if shooting from a moving vehicle was justified in that situation, then the passenger would have been the logical shooter, not the guy holding a pistil while driving.

This concurs with the training I have had. If the driver and passenger are unharmed, then it is the driver's job to drive and deal with all aspects that involves including placing the passenger in a position to shoot. The passenger is the primary shooter. The driver only shoots if the passenger is incapacitated from firing (e.g., wounded, changing mags, etc.), has no way to shoot the threat (e.g., threat is on driver's side), or if the driver is the sole occupant (e.g., Las Vegas shooting chase) or sole person who can use a gun.

Pretty hard to justify clearly saying something like: "He's done." and then firing another three rounds immediately after.

And the guy wasn't moving for several rounds before it was said. I'm no lawyer, but from where I sit the officer will be fortunate if criminal charges aren't brought.

Did you notice that the driver muzzled himself while driving with the wrist of his shooting hand? Don't know what the other hand was doing.

Back