742 single shot

blackwidowp61

A few years ago I bought a Remington 742 through an ad, sight unseen, but for $100, I figured I'd take the chance. When I got it, there was evidence of hard use. When I took it to the range, I found that I had bought a single shot as the action would not function. I tried it several times but it still wouldn't cycle. If memory serves, I almost had to kick the action open to get the case out.
I've had the gun to two different gunsmiths and the only thing that changed was my thinner wallet.
Any ideas/fixes, or should I just use it as a parts gun (I have two other 742s that function very well)? The gun is sitting in my safe doing absolutely nothing and it galls me.

Convert it to a pump action !!!

Any ideas/fixes, or should I just use it as a parts gun
You are going to have to search the internet to locate some information that I read, a number of years ago. Basically you convert it to a 760 pump action. Depends on the condition if the effort is worth it. A number of years ago, I worked on one and even though there was a problem in being able to manually cycle, in semi-auto, it functioned just fine. Good luck and let us know how it worked out. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
:) That's why I'll call them first. They may very well agree with you about the tomato stake (and I do love fresh home-grown tomatoes)!

I have people bring 740s and 742s in often. Usually it's Dad's or Grandpa's old rifle and they "want to shoot it". Hey, there's a reason Grandpa put it in the closet! Remington service centers will not service a 740 or 742. The rifle has been out of production now for about 40 years, they are usually extremely worn, and once they develop excess headspace or wear the rails inside the receiver, they are dead, dead, dead.

How does it work with a dummy cartridge. With the hammer dropped, can you pull the action open easily with a dummy cartridge in the chamber?

If not, how clean is the chamber? You need a chamber brush to scrub it out and did the gunsmiths do that?

Did the gunsmiths who "worked on it" strip it down and clean the gas action?

We were taught how to work on them at school. I don't know if that firearm is still included in Firearms Repair II anymore though.

The 742 was designed for the shotgun hunters who wanted to deer hunt. It was meant to be a seasonal gun and not an all year round firearm that was to be used heavily. Hence the receiver is fabricated of soft steel. There was a hardened steel rail inserted into the top of the receiver as a bearing surface, but once the rest of the receiver is worn, it's toast. However, I suspect the issue here is related to the gas system.

I had one of these years ago and it began doing the same thing. A
Gunsmith determined the chamber had pitted which allows the case to expand into the pits. This causes the case to seize and the extractor pulls a chunk off the rim of the case. The only fix is a barrel replacement. I'm guessing they are extremely hard to find because this was a common issue with the 742. We tried to hone out the barrel but the indentions still hung up the shell. The only suggestion I have for you is to try the Winchester ballistic shells. The nickel cases sometimes work if the pitting is not too bad.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

If it was a case of the chamber being pitted and the brass expanding into the pits, the solution (if it couldn't be polished) is to drill and sleeve the barrel and then rechamber it.

QUOTE: "If memory serves, I almost had to kick the action open to get the case out."

Is that rifle chambered for the .30-06 Cartridge? If by chance it is, here's something to check.

Remove the trigger group and peer into the receiver. Check the rails to see if the hardened bolt head has done some "bolt head over-rotation" and peened grooves from the locking lugs into the softer metal of the bolt channel. Unfortunately, bolt over rotation is a common malady in the Remington 742 when using the .30-06 cartridge.

Yes, it is in 30-06. I haven't been able to check anything that has been suggested of late as I don't have access to the gun at this time. I should get it back shortly and follow through with the above suggestions, including the tomato stake one (although I'd prefer to get it working properly again).

That gun needs to be tore down and cleaned-cleaned-cleaned the breach needs to be polished, gas port and piston cleaned, bolt polished, check the bolt guide rail if that has four grooves in it you have a real clean parts gun !!!!

If you really like the Remington 742 style rifle I suggest you park that 742 in the closet and buy one of the new Remington 750 rifles. The 742 had issues as these posts point out and it will cost more in time and frustration to try to address all the problems inherent to that series. The 750 has addressed these issues and according to reports is a much better performing firearm for its designed purpose. I have owned several 742's and although the ones I had didn't exhibit any major issues I would not own another. They are all getting older every day and Remington does not support them anymore. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Back