700 VLS

That is slightly lower than the going rate in my area. Go for it!

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

My rationale in buying it was I needed a back-up hunting rifle to my 06. I'll be using it mostly on target. Realize I'll have to do some work probably to bring up to the accuracy leval of the VS as it's not bedded or floated but I like wood and hell, that's part of the fun for me.

If you enjoy that kind of stuff, more power to you!
Among all the 700's I've shot, two were VLS .308's, one was a 3/4 MOA gun and the other just broke 1 MOA, both shot with GM308M. All of my personal 700's started grouping best after 100-200 rounds were down the tube, so those VLS's probably tightened up later too.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

The VLS goes for around $479 in this neighborhood; about $529 for the VS. I bought a like-new VLS in .223 for $300 about two months ago. I didn't need it, so I let a friend have it for what I had in it.

Walter, You are a good freind to pass on the deal you got. $300 sounds real good.Thanks for the info. What part of the country are you from? I'm up in the Seattle area and I've had a hell of a time even finding this gun. Whatever I paid it doesn't matter. I'm in love!

I have them in .223 and 22-250 and they're "GRRREEAAATT" as Tony the T. says. Both shoot under MOA. I think Walter is pulling our leg on prices or he's a thief :D

------------------
"Keep shootin till they quit floppin"
The Wife 2/2000

McShot, Did you float the barrels on yours? I just went out to the range yesterday to start breaking it in and setting up the temporary scope on it.(have to wait a little to put a decent scope on) I thought it shot pretty good with factory ammo and the stock trigger even though it's a hefty 6 lbs! I'm going to do the trigger adjustment today. I may shim the action up a to simulate a floated barrel too and see if that makes a dif.Love this gun! happy Mothers Day and lets everyone practice good gun control! Get a good grip and sqeeeze the trigger!

> one was a 3/4 MOA gun

Wouldn't that be a 45 Second of Angle Gun?

> Both shoot under MOA

Both shoot Second of Angle!

CS
Champion of Correct Angle Terminology

I live in S. GA. Somebody at the range today said that Franklins Sports in Athens, GA. advertised the VLS at $429. I don't have any confirmation of that. I really did get the VLS in .223 for a friend @ $300. Same guy sold a like-new Glock 19 with a hi-cap for $275. I just about stroked out because I missed that one. He currently has a new-style G21, with a 6" Jarvis .400 Cor-Bon barrel. I already have a setup similar to that, but if he sells the G21 for $400 or so, I might have to take it off his hands.

I free-floated the VLS barrel, using a drum sander attachment on my Dremel Tool. I'm thinking about buying a VLS in .243, and just swapping stocks with my .223 VS, when I want to do some serious shooting. Actually, I'd only be using one caliber on a given day, so that isn't such a bad idea.

I'll call the owner of Franklin's tomorrow and see what the real prices are for the VLS. Like you said, if you already have yours and like it, price is no longer important.

From what I've seen that's about the going rate for a VS in my area; that is about a 100 more then the VLS. Haven't seen too many myself. Unlike the VLS the VS is pillar bedded and free floated. I wanted a wood stock myself and figured I'd either do the work myself or have it done. I'm going to practice on an old 788 first.

Thanks Clint.

I was considering the Savage 112FVss but after hearing that a trigger job is needed and some other things, I opted for the VS. I now have to decide what scope to get. I think a Simmons 4-12x40mm comes with it. I just have to assume that that scope will do the trick.

The VS isn't pillar bedded; it utilizes a full-length aluminum bedding block, which is more secure than pillar bedding. The stocks are made by H-S Precision.

I just made a couple of head shots on a nickel at 100 yds with my VS today, shooting crappy bulk 55gr. fmjbt reloads, pushed by 23.5gr. of AA2200.

With neck-sized cases, Bergers or Ballistic Tips or V-Maxes, I can shoot in the 2's and 3's pretty consistently.

Clint T., No I didn't float the barrels on mine - they came that way. Both were pre owned but the 22-250 was unfired. For the .223 I use 26.5 gr. of BallC under a sierra 53 gr. match bullet. Haven't tried reloads in the 22-250 yet.

------------------
"Keep shootin till they quit floppin"
The Wife 2/2000

I stand corrected on the VS not being pillar bedded. Anyway here's a range report on my new VLS in .308. Just got back home and am pretty dang pleased. All hand loads today.
Five 5 shot groups. Best .442". Worst .649"!
I believe I'm realy in love now. I have the action shimmed up so as to keep the barrel floated. Re-set the trigger to just under three pounds. In order to be able to fit the rounds into the mag I had to keep them at an c.o.l.of 2.8". That's .080 from the lands. I was a little concerned about that but it seems fine. I'm just going to sand the forend for clearence and call it good. Clint

I checked Franklins of Athens' add in Georgia Outdoors today. They do advertise the VLS in 7-08 for $429. I don't know if their prices in other calibers is that good, but $429 sounds pretty good to me.

Shot some of my IMI bulk fmjbt through my VS yesterday. Put two shots through a nickel at 100 yds. I was pretty impressed with the clean holes punched by that round.

Back