700 trigger

Ranting

I bought a rem 700 stainless 338 from a guy , the trigger will not fire but when you put it to safety and recycle it and then put it to fire >>IT FIRES<<>> What a good after market trigger?!?

your remington trigger may have been misadjusted by some one, have it adjusted right by a gunsmith, you may be surprized by the outcome. i have my hunting remington 700 triggers adjusted to 4 lbs.

This is a well documented issue, and the primary reason for Remington's bankruptcy. They've been repairing millions of returned rifles and paying out in over 100 lawsuits since the 1940's. Hard to be profitable doing that.

Do you know when it was made? If prior to 2007 this is a well known issue. Remington redesigned the trigger in October 2006. But even with the redesign there was a recall on 2007-2014 rifles because some of them got adhesive dripped into the trigger mechanism during assembly.

But even with the known issues it shouldn't be doing it this often. Most of them only do this about once every 20-30 years. Just reliable enough to start trusting it, then it bites you in the butt.

It is very likely that it has been improperly adjusted or is filthy. You could return it to Remington, but with the known issues I'd strongly advise just replacing it with aftermarket. I put a Timney in mine.

This is a well documented issue, and the primary reason for Remington's bankruptcy.

I disagree. I think the primary reason for Remington's bankruptcy was the company that owned them taking out huge loans in Remington's name, and then taking off with the money leaving Remington with tremendous debt and no way to pay it back.

Despite what a court found (and personally I think they weren't looking beyond who had the deepest pockets) I don't find anything defective about the old Rem triggers. Could they be better? Yes, but flawed? No. They just need to be properly cared for, and CORRECTLY adjusted.

Lots of aftermarket triggers for Remington 700s. Timney and Rifle Basix are my favorites. Shilen, Jewell and Huber are pretty specialized for target work. They go from relatively inexpensive to make-you-gasp pricewise, but for a hunting rifle it's pretty hard to beat a Timney.

I don't know about the newest ones but I have found it easy to adjust model 700 triggers as well as the triggers on older Ruger 77 tang safety bolt guns.... actually, IMHO, they can be adjusted to work as well as an after market trigger like a Timney, etc....and I am no gunsmith just your garden variety tinkerer. IIRC there are small nuts that adjust for creep, over travel, etc....just need to find the sweet spots

I should add; this tinkering to be used on a hunting rifle where a hair trigger is not only not needed but probably not advisable ...I have a Timney sear that I installed on a 1980s Ruger 77/22 and a distant sneeze is enough to set her off :)

Do the well known safety checks after fiddling with any trigger.

Last edited:
Back