700 Remington XCR II

homesick

Does any one have any experience with Remingtons 700 XCR II, I know the first model of the 700 XCR had some stock issues. I am thinking about buying one and would like to have your imput.

The Trinyte coating (heat treating) is the absolute best protection out for bad weather. It should never rust. And as to stock issues, it all depends on who you're listening to. I've got a SPS Buckmasters that shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards right out of the box. Nothing wrong with that plastic stock! And the new X-Mark Pro trigger is as good as any I've used from the factory. I will say that don't order one unseen. Go to a gun shot, pick it up, cycle the bolt (to make sure it's smooth) and look at the fit and finish. Then buy THAT rifle. I think the guys that have been having quality problems aren't doing it this way.

If you don't like it I'll beg, borrow and steal to buy it from you! :D

Thanks Warbirdlover I held off on the 1st one as I had heard bad things, I am going to Jacksonville this weekend as they said they have some in stock in 25-06 and 7MM-08 I'll check them both out.

I can't advise on the XCR II, but I do have two Remington XCR's, one in 30.06 and one in 7 MAG. I must say that the 30.06 seems to be a better shooter, but in all fairness to the 7 MAG. my load development has been slack, so I think time will tell if I can work on some different loads. I have taken 6 deer with the 30.06 and 4 with the 7 MAG. I have hunted in some of the harshest weather conditions without any signs of any rust. I think the XCR and XCR II might possibly have the most durable finishes available. That is a plus to me. I take care of my guns, but on long out of town hunts I do not want to be worrying about oiling some rifle down every night after a simple day in the woods. Blued guns with wood stocks are pretty, but I could care less about what my rifle looks like in the woods. There are generally no other hunters that I am trying to impress. I buy my rifles to use and to hunt hard with.

Not sure what stock issues you are talking about other than the stock affecting the accuracy? I have no problem with the appearance or function of the stock. The rubber grip panels on the stock do cut down on the gun slipping on your clothing. You ask what am I talking about? Many times in my ladder stands or in my hunting chairs I place the rifle on my legs as I wait on my deer. The grip panels are sticky and the rifle does not slide easily on my legs. Also with gloved hands you can get a good grip on the rifle when in the shooting position.

If Remington ever decides to make an XCR II in a lefty version I will try a couple in different calibers. I shoot right hand rifles, left handed, but want to try a lefty rifle after all these years.

Good luck on you decision. :)

Last edited:
I'm a retired metallurgist and the trinyte heat treatment (not really a coating) over stainless steel is the absolute best there is in preventing rust. TC has the same thing on their "weather shield" rifles also. These two are the only manufacurer's I've found using this and it is state-of-the-art!

It is a form of nitriding (thin case hardening) that can be done to certain grades of stainless steel and besides giving weather protection is extremely hard so the barrels/receivers etc. should last forever also.

BigR Thanks for your reply, I made up my mind some time ago that this would be a good durable rifle. I held off because of some unfavorable reports but am in full gear now to get one. It's hard for an old fart to get excited but I am pumped.
I used to hunt the mountians as it appears you do and and have wittnessed some very harsh weather. I have a 1970s Remington 7MM Mag that I put a plastic stock on as I too want service ability.

I built my 1st mountian rifle in the late 70s it was a 700 /7 mag with a 3.5X10 Leo, and a plastic stock. I called it my ugly meat gun, but it never changed point of impact no matter what the conditions were or what it had been through. That rifle had a stainless steel barrel but a standard reciever, plus it was blued or painted not sure which so after a few years it was butt ugly. I used to paint the stock every year rustolem sticks to every thing.

I have a Ruger M77 MkII all-weather .300 Win Mag that (until recently) had the "skeleton" or "paddle" composite stock. I had a Nikon Monarch 3-9 on it and in almost 20 years it never changed point of impact! And it was ugly too!! (I'm putting a laminated stock on it now). :)

Back