700 PSS quick question

Nomad76

Inactive
I am new to the 700 world and am looking for some advise so please bear with me. I just got my Remington 700 PSS two days ago. I want to adjust the factory trigger. My question is if I remove the action and trigger from the stock will it mess up the bedding? Thanks for any help!

No it won't mess up the bedding, but you should get a torque wrench that measures in IN/LBS, and torque the action screws to 65 IN/LBS (NOT FT/LBS!) every time you replace the stock. Do not fully tighten one screw then the other, do them incramentally, fully tightening the rearmost screw first.

Call me anal retentive, but consistency equals accuracy!

BTW there is no glass bedding in a factory PSS, it just has an aluminum bedding block with pillars.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

[This message has been edited by Rex Feral (edited April 23, 2000).]

Enlighten me Walter, the HS Precision stock has a milled aluminum block that supports the action, and steel pillars the action mounting bolts go through. How is that oxymoronic? I am dying to learn more about precision rifle from a Mini-14 shooter!
biggrin.gif

------------------

I get a lot of ribbing about my posts on several boards about my wonderful experiences with the Ruger Boat Anchor.

I do happen own and enjoy shooting a Rem. VS with an H-S Precision Stock. Have also worked on a bunch of 700 triggers in friends' VS's and Sendaros.

Never saw either with pillar bedding. They've all had aluminum bedding blocks that are drilled, of course, for the action screws. I broke down and bought an inch/lb. torque wrench, but can't really tell any difference in accuracy than when I just tightened by feel. (But then I don't claim to be anal, either.)

For a simple explanation of all this, look up the word "pillar" in your h.s. dictionary.

Pillar bedding is not as substantial as aluminum block bedding. In pillar bedding, the stock is drilled out to the the pillars, which are cemented into the stock. Pillars, by definition are cylindrical devices that are generally frestanding, or at least easily identifiable as cylinders.

I have a friend with a VS, I'll have to look at the block in his stock. As for my PSS it certainly appears the action bolt holes are drilled through steel rods which are in turn set into the bedding block, so I figured block AND pillars. Never having had the "pleasure" of wood stocked precision rifles, I'll defer to your defenition of pillar bedding.

I've burned many rounds through Mini-14's myself, and have to admit to enjoying the experience, sorry yours is a dud!
wink.gif

------------------

Rex: Didn't mean to be argumentative, just never saw pillar bedding on an HS stock. I adjusted the trigger on a friend's PSS a few months back, and the stock looked like a regular old aluminum bedding block HS. OF course, HS might have changed the design since I did that work.

I didn't keep my Mini; I gave it to a friend of mine for his then-12-year-old son to play with. I guess they still have it.

Back